Jamf Pro 10 and certification validity

SeanKaplan
New Contributor

According to JAMF's training policies, certification earned on JSS 9.x will be invalid when JSS 10.x is released sometime in 2017.

Length of Validity:
Jamf certification is awarded upon satisfactory completion of the associated exam (CCT, CCA, CJA) or attainment of enough points to equate that level of certification (CCE). Certification is awarded and valid for that specific major version of Casper Suite on which the course was delivered. For example, a certification earned on JSS 9.3 is valid only on JSS 9.x. It is no longer valid once JSS 10.x is released.

If I was to take a CCT or CCA course in the first half of 2017, does that mean those certs will be invalid shortly after? Do current JAMF courses offer certification on JSS 9.x or have they already started offering certification on JSS 10.x?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dustydorey
Contributor III

Hi Folks,
I wanted to jump in on this thread as this question is coming up more and more. There are two different things being discussed here Certification Validity and Course prerequisites.

For Certification Validity the posted policies is what are you certified in and not directly related prerequisites. For instance, if you are taking the class on version 9 and tested on that, your certification upon being earned is for that version e.g. CCT 9. When we track these internally they're tracked as CCT9, CCA9 etc... This is similar to other certifications in the industry such as Apple's ACSP where you receive certification in the version you took the test on.

For course prerequisites we DO accept prior versions. As an example on the CCA page we state that we accept the CCT to satisfy the prerequisites and we also accept 'Previous CCA certification'. If you had taken a CCA in version 7 or 8 we do not require you to take a CCT before attending a CCA in version 9. The reason it doesn't say 'Previous CCT certification' is the CCT did not exist before version 9.

To help with this question we've added the following verbiage to the very top of the Training Page on Jamf.com

"Casper Suite version 9 certification will satisfy corresponding prerequisite requirements for future Jamf Pro classes." We'll look to add some more clarifying information to the policies page as well.

If you're looking to start down the path to obtaining certification and you plan on taking more than the CCT you do not need to be concerned about retaking the course when version 10 is released to satisfy those course prerequisites. Version 9 Certificates will satisfy the corresponding prerequisites.

I hope this helps, we look forward to seeing you in class!

Regards,
Dusty Dorey
Director, Education Services
Jamf

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

ryanstayloradob
Contributor

That's not what I remember hearing at JNUC last October. It was said that we did not have to get re-certified when 10.x came out. I could be wrong, but I distinctly remember that. If our certs are no longer valid when 10 comes out, what's the point of taking any certification course until then?

rob_hernandez
New Contributor III

This was discussed at my CJA training last week and my CCA class two weeks before that. JAMF follows a similar certification process to Apple. Once you are certified for a version (9.x for example), your certs are good forever on that major version (V.8, v.9, and so on). Your cert wont apply for the next version until you take a corresponding class.

That said, if you've already satisfied any pre-requisite certification requirements (CCT for the CCA for the CCE), you will not be required to meet those pre-reqs for the subsequent version of the Cert.

SeanKaplan
New Contributor

Thanks Ryan. Yeah, there's got to be some middle ground here- just trying to figure out what it is.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Makes the release date for 10.0 critical, since I just signed up for a class in June....

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

<Safari hiccup, duplicate>

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I've budgeted for my CCE, but am waiting until the cert for 10 is available.

SeanKaplan
New Contributor

I'm signed up for the CCT course in June in NYC. We'll see what the instructors say about it then. I've heard that JAMF 10 is dropping Sept/Oct. 2017.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Come to think of it. I'd sign up for a jamfPRO 10 CCE in conjunction with the JNUC... just saying. I might actually be able to get both in this year, that way!

SeanKaplan
New Contributor

chrisgreer
New Contributor II

I took the CCE course during the JNUC 2016 and as a heads up.....you won't have much time to attend the JNUC. We were able to attend the keynotes and 1 session right after per day which takes you into lunch.....then back to class. Just wanted to chime in just in case you were under the impression that you would be able to take part in a chunk of the JNUC. That being said.....it was a great class and a nice experience.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@chrisgreer Of that I have no doubt! But everyone would be there and all the after parties would still be attend-able!

chrisgreer
New Contributor II

very true @Chris_Hafner .....plenty of time to hang out in the after parties.....valid point!

Wakko
Contributor II

Hey don't forget Grumpy's!

dustydorey
Contributor III

Hi Folks,
I wanted to jump in on this thread as this question is coming up more and more. There are two different things being discussed here Certification Validity and Course prerequisites.

For Certification Validity the posted policies is what are you certified in and not directly related prerequisites. For instance, if you are taking the class on version 9 and tested on that, your certification upon being earned is for that version e.g. CCT 9. When we track these internally they're tracked as CCT9, CCA9 etc... This is similar to other certifications in the industry such as Apple's ACSP where you receive certification in the version you took the test on.

For course prerequisites we DO accept prior versions. As an example on the CCA page we state that we accept the CCT to satisfy the prerequisites and we also accept 'Previous CCA certification'. If you had taken a CCA in version 7 or 8 we do not require you to take a CCT before attending a CCA in version 9. The reason it doesn't say 'Previous CCT certification' is the CCT did not exist before version 9.

To help with this question we've added the following verbiage to the very top of the Training Page on Jamf.com

"Casper Suite version 9 certification will satisfy corresponding prerequisite requirements for future Jamf Pro classes." We'll look to add some more clarifying information to the policies page as well.

If you're looking to start down the path to obtaining certification and you plan on taking more than the CCT you do not need to be concerned about retaking the course when version 10 is released to satisfy those course prerequisites. Version 9 Certificates will satisfy the corresponding prerequisites.

I hope this helps, we look forward to seeing you in class!

Regards,
Dusty Dorey
Director, Education Services
Jamf

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the clarification Dusty!

This is a relief to me as I'll probably not be able to take my CCE until after 10 is released.

Now, if one of my co-workers has his CCT9 and CCA9, what does that limit him to when Jamf 10 comes out? I assume nothing, but is just an easy way to indicate what a user has been trained on if they contact Jamf support? And maybe what we, ourselves, limit them in doing internally?

SeanKaplan
New Contributor

Thank you for the clarification @dustydorey .