Jamf pro server

Jason
Contributor II

So since jss (jamf software server) is no longer correct. Is jamf pro server (jps) a correct description? Or is everything (server, apps, employees, etc) all just "jamf"

Ex:
"I'm going to log into jamf"
"Which jamf? The Pro server or jamf nation? "

18 REPLIES 18

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I've been having the same thoughts. Until the internal branding changes, I'll be calling it the JSS. I do think that JPS sounds about right.

That said, I'm going to be calling it the jss until I change my FQDN, SSL cert, etc. I'm the creative type that names things jss.blahblahblah.com and so on...
;-)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Second thought: I get to tell my Director that the Casper Suite is being discontinued. Then I get to wait for at least 15 seconds before telling him the rest of the story.

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

We just renamed our server..so jss will live on for us for the foreseeable future :)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

EDIT double post (thanks wifi).

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

"JSS" still seems to make sense to me. The software products are jamf Pro and jamf Now. So technically Jamf Software Server is still an accurate description of it, especially since I think its possible to migrate from Now to Pro if I recall, if one starts off with the simpler product.
I only caught a small part of that bit in the keynote, but I think that's what JAMF was saying, correct?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Thanks @mm2270 I tend to think the same thing, even if the marketing changes. Though, the same box that houses the webapp is generally not the same one that serves the software but... I overheard Dean talking about it last night and he was thinking just js, instead of jss, but that sounds a lot like .js and that makes me think "Java Script".

Several folks here seem to be talking about jps (jamf PRO Server). I think the big thing is to retire the "Casper" name. That's something that makes quite a bit of sense to me. It's always been hard for me to explain that to other folks so that that "Casper" was the jamf service that encompassed the various components (JSS, DP, Database, etc).

billystanton
New Contributor II

We've just built a brand new server and its all branded around "JSS"

Doh.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I'm not going to make a big deal over this. I will keep calling our server "the JSS". What it's called isn't important to me. What's important is that it's working. And another way to look at this is that it's a server, and it's running Jamf software, so why not call it "JSS". It's a Jamf software server.

RyanSlater
New Contributor III

I can't see the internal name being changed for the same reasons as Howie_Isaacks suggests above me. And even if it does, people will still refer to it with the old name for a while to come yet anyway :-)

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

1) I've never been a fan of rebranding (why mess with a good thing?), but at least Jamf didn't change their name to something unpronounceable like the company that makes REALbasic... Xojo.

2) I hate it when people refer to a company's most famous product as the name of the company: "Hey I need help installing Citrix." "My Adobe crashed." Now we're pretty much being told that is the correct way to refer to Jamf (company, server, apps…). (Some companies like McAfee have such a large catalog of products that aren't very different from each other with confusing names, they are asking for it)

3) I'm going to continue calling the whole suite Casper for a very long time. It's always been the "friendly Ghost" and always will.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

All of my managed systems are checking in with jss.thinkfixed.com, so why would I want to change the host name of my server? Our old JSS was called manage.thinkfixed.com, but when I took over the management of the server early last year, I changed it. Our customers never visit our server directly, so it doesn't matter what it's called. All I care about is that my policies are working, and everything else works. Maybe some day, I might change the host name, but why bother when it's not necessary? All this being said, I think the name change is a good move. As @AVmcclint noted above, people refer to a company's products as if they are the name of the company. Renaming Casper to "Jamf Pro" and Bushel to "Jamf Now" keeps the name "Jamf" in the dialogue. Apple did something similar in 2006 when they ditched the PowerBook brand, and changed it to MacBook. Of course a lot of customers refer to Apple as "Mac". "I went to the Mac store" instead of "I went to the Apple store" drives me up the wall.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't know if anyone here on this thread was even proposing we all need to go and change the hostnames of ourJSS / jamf Pro servers now. That would be completely silly. JAMF doesn't care what name you give to your server, so it matters not at all. Keep the name you have and call it what you want. As long as it works, who cares?

As I said earlier regarding the branding of the server component, I basically agree with @howie_isaacks that JAMF will likely continue to call it the "JSS" internally and with customers. I may be wrong, but it really shouldn't need to be renamed in my opinion. The JSS acronym meaning still makes sense, even with the product rebranding.
As for dropping the "Casper" name, I speculated on the thread started by @donmontalvo about the change in name that, this makes some sense because JAMF has pared down their product offerings over the years. At one time, they had a larger menu to choose from, all offering slightly different options. You could buy the Recon Suite, Imaging Suite or Casper Suite, in addition to the standalone Composer (which I think they still sell separately) Now that they've drilled this down to 2 products, renaming them as "Now" and "Pro" makes a nice distinction, similar to that of the "Air" and "Pro" Apple has been using for a while with the MacBook line. You know immediately which of the 2 is intended for power users, just as jamf Pro immediately identifies itself as the product for enterprises, and jamf Now as the one for small offices or individuals.

Just my 2¢ on the issue anyway.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yea, I wouldn't be changing anything existing. I think I just found it about more humerus watching everyone from jamf (now lowercase) stumble through what to call it. This is certainly not actionable nor even important from a consumer prospective. Unless it causes confusion.

RyanSlater
New Contributor III

We could always just start calling it Jasper.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

I agree that we should continue calling the server JSS. I found the jokes about a dollar jar for calling it the wrong name humorous but call on Jamf employees (and all of us) to NOT stop calling it the JSS!

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

I just reorganized my DNS naming around a casper-centric naming scheme. Oh well.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

+1 for Jasper.... ;) @RyanSlater

for my 2¢ I agree with @mm2270 also about no need to change my FDQN. and given that I'm the only Admin over our environment, I probably the only one who refers to it as "our JSS" a our .org. And it'll take me YEARS to make this mental switch, I'm sure (I live in a town where people give directions based on businesses/buildings that haven't existed in 30 years).

nigelg
Contributor

Internally we call it the "Casper Service" so we will start calling it the "jamf Pro Service". That would make it the "jamf Pro Service Server" or JPSS. Or JSS if we used "jamfPro Service Server".