Jamf Protect Custom Analytics

user-hBorjSMYEA
New Contributor

I'm a new customer of Jamf Protect and have to keep my macs secure according to PCI compliance as well as CIS 20 and starting to move towards ISO 27001.
Does anyone have any good custom analytics that they've built for meeting compliance and best practices needs that didn't come prebuilt?

3 REPLIES 3

Kelli_Conlin
New Contributor

Here are some of the custom analytics I have helped to build!

1. Command Line Account Creation
    Sensor Type: GPProcessEvent
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.process.name == "/usr/bin/dscl" AND $event.process.commandLine CONTAINS " -create "

2. Command Line Activity (Warning: This is noisy!!)
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.process.commandLine LIKE "*"

3. Curl Events Sensor Type: GPProcessEvent
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.process.signingInfo.appid == "com.apple.curl"

4. DNSModification via hosts file
    Sensor Type: GPFSEvent
    $event.isModified == 1 AND $event.path ==[cd] "/private/etc/hosts"

5. Launch Daemon Deleted
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.path MATCHES[cd] "(:?/System)?/Library/LaunchDaemons/.*.plist"

6. Launchctl Event
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.process.path == "/bin/launchctl"

7. Monitor Root User Creation
    $event.path MATCHES[cd] "/etc/passwd" AND (($event.isNewFile == 1 OR $event.isModified == 1)) AND FUNCTION($event.file, "newDelimitedEntries:comments:" , ".newlines", "#").@count > 0 AND FUNCTION($event.file, "newDelimitedEntries:comments:" , ".newlines", "#")[0] BEGINSWITH "root:"

8. Screen Sharing Activity
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.process.name == "screensharingd"

9. Threat Prevention Quarantined
    $event.isNewFile == 1 AND $event.path MATCHES [c] "/Library/Application Support/JamfProtect/Quarantine/./."

10. Users Created
    $event.isNewDirectory == True AND $event.path.stringByDeletingLastPathComponent == "/Users"

11. Users Deleted *Only detects the user home dir being deleted
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.path.stringByDeletingLastPathComponent == "/System/Volumes/Data/Users"

12. Jamf Pro Agent Removed (10.15 & above)
    $event.type == 1 AND $event.file.path == "/System/Volumes/Data/usr/local/jamf/bin/jamfAgent"

13. Applications Added
    $event.isNewDirectory == True AND $event.path.stringByDeletingLastPathComponent == "/Applications"

14. Files Downloaded from the Internet
    Sensor Type: GPDownloadEvent
    true == true

15. Unsigned Keylogger In Action
    Sensor Type: GPKeylogRegisterEvent
    ( $event.source.signingInfo.signerType == 4 )

16. Launchctl Unloaded
    ( $event.type == 1 AND $event.process.path CONTAINS "/bin/launchctl" AND $event.process.args CONTAINS "unload" )

aloewenthal
New Contributor

Hey @Kelli.Conlin thanks for sharing your custom analytics! I've definitely taken note, any chance you have any analytics created for logging Firewall events?

T_Armstrong
Contributor

@Kelli.Conlin - Thank you! Great starting point. If anyone has tips for how to detect a specific process being killed, I'm all ears!