Jamf pushing older versions of an app

corykelly
New Contributor

We have an app called Spaces Edu loaded on all of our iPads. The app is set to automatically update itself both in Jamf and on the devices. I can see that the version of this app in Jamf is the most current when compared to the information in the App Store. Recently we have discovered that the app is not updating on some of the devices. Most of these devices have stopped communicating with Jamf. I can resolve this but here is the strange part.

I discovered one iPad that did not have this app. I assigned it to the Scope and the app loaded to the device. The strange part is that the version of the app that loaded was not the most current and not the version that is in Jamf.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

TLDR; Apple Nonsense and Magic.

All Jamf is really doing is brokering a license for the Appstore app. The app itself is still coming from the AppStore, with some extra check ins for the license. As far as I am aware Apple only issues the latest version of an App that is supported by the version of iOS/iPadOS that is installed on the device. I dont think specifying the version to install with MDM does anything anymore. Sounds like something went dumb on the apple side.

Thanks for the explanation regarding the 'brokering' AJPinto. I did not understand that before. I will continue to dig in to this issue and will post again in the conversation when I find what is causing the problem and the solution.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Are you using Apple Cache server to serve the content locally? It is possible for an older version of the app be cached there and not updated as expected.