Jamf Self Service Not Associated with Jamf Pro Server

bembry
New Contributor

I am getting the message saying "Self Service is a component of Jamf Pro, developed by Jamf. This app must be associated with a Jamf Pro Server. Contact your IT administrator for more information." 

We use automated device enrollment and the iPads experiencing this issue are enrolled into our Jamf instance. Our Self Service app is set to be installed manually to avoid Apple IDs. I have already set up the app configuration as seen on the Jamf Pro documentation. Is there anything else that I am missing? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This Config-Dictionary works for us:

<dict>
<key>INVITATION_STRING</key>
<string>$MOBILEDEVICEAPPINVITE</string>
<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>
<string>$SERIALNUMBER</string>
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>
<string>$DEVICENAME</string>
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>
<string>$MACADDRESS</string>
<key>UDID</key>
<string>$UDID</string>
<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>
<string>$MANAGEMENTID</string>
<key>JSS_URL</key>
<string>*Jamf-URL*</string>
</dict>

*Jamf-URL* must be replaced with the URL of the MDM server

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Self Service is normally licensed via AxM and deployed automatically using Jamf. As long as you have VPP licenses for Self Service there should be no need for Apple ID login.

mecklind
New Contributor III

Seeing the same exact thing. No changes to the environment and suddenly 2 new ipads set up not working.

it appears to only be affecting newly enrolled iPads and not devices that are already enrolled.

whiteb
Contributor II

I think this is a bug relating to the new version of Self Service (11.2).

https://www.reddit.com/r/k12sysadmin/comments/17vd7h8/psa_new_version_of_jamf_selfservice_released_w...

bembry
New Contributor

Thank you for supplying this link. Hopefully this bug is fixed soon!!

BlakeR-NZ
New Contributor III

Having this exact same issue, testing iOS devices in Jamf Pro for the first time after managing Mac's using Jamf for years and thought I was doing something stupid but glad to hear its most likely a software bug. 

FYI I'm using the cloud hosted of Jamf Pro.

foobarfoo
Contributor

We have an on-prem instance, and we have the same issue as well. Great, 60k devices affected, going to be a huuuuge poop sandwich today. Thanks for the abysmal QA, Jamf!

FYI, the config has been silently changed in the JAMF Pro documentation (UDID is now MANAGEMENTID), but it seems like updating the managed app config makes no difference. Anyway, insight into cause and fix (including ETA on an app update, if one is required) would be greatly appreciated, JAMF!

m_ruehl
New Contributor II

Both UDID and MANAGEMENTID must be entered. Then it works.

m_ruehl

can you expand on that please, may be an example?

Tried adding the MANAGEMENTID made no difference

This Config-Dictionary works for us:

<dict>
<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>
<key>UDID</key>
<string>$UDID</string>
<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>
<key>JSS_URL</key>
<string>*Jamf-URL*</string>
</dict>

*Jamf-URL* must be replaced with the URL of the MDM server

schiemsk
New Contributor III

Thanks, this config works for us too.

That's immed : No need to re-deploy the App.

Does Self Service get the new config automatically or do we need to remove and reinstall self service?

jr139
New Contributor III

Thanks @m_ruehl - Confirmed we were having the same issue and the configuration you provided with both management ID and UDID fixed our issue on newly enrolled devices. 

For those copying and pasting this make sure to change the last string to your jamf pro URL or use $JPS_URL

It's worth noting that the Jamf Pro documentation only calls for management ID and not both management ID and UDID, we tried copying directly from jamf documentation and it did NOT work. 

Mountain_Man
New Contributor II

I tried leaving it as $JPS_URL it didn't work used the URL for the server but where i had a / at the end of the URL which worked before i had to remove it. Now all ok.

Many thanks All good now. Its ridiculers that in the Jamf documentation it doesn't have the UUID key. 

MJan
New Contributor

I can confirm this works as well. I talked to support yesterday, they had me try a different config profile but clearly it wasn't this.

sjuarez
New Contributor II

This also worked for us! Thank you!

That solution worked for us so far. Immediate fix, no need to exclude/reinstall the app.

juliej
New Contributor II

We tried the above Jamf-URL string with no success but found this worked.

Adding these 2 lines below to our (now broken) prod app config resolved the issue:

<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>

Also, make sure the below lines are not removed from the app config as suggested in Jamf documentation as the 16/11/23:

<key>UDID</key>
<string>$UDID</string>

How our app config now looks:

<dict>
<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>
<key>UDID</key>
<string>$UDID</string>
<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>
<key>JSS_URL</key>
<string>$JPS_URL</string>
</dict>

tseretta
New Contributor II

I can confirm adding the management id fixed my issue.  I left the UDID in place.

dlevendo
New Contributor III

Never had anything in the app config for Self Service but the URL of our JAMF.  Not even sure what my UDID is for this configuration.  If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I’d appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

mdecola
New Contributor

It's an 11.2 bug.  I had an ipad with 11.1 and did a blank push.  Soon as Self-Service updated to 11.2 it blew up.     

MJan
New Contributor

We experienced this before 11.2, with iPads still running 11.1.1. It was always on newly enrolled devices. However, now that 11.2 is starting to deploy, it's probably going to break existing devices.

viorel
New Contributor

Manually Installing Self Service with Volume Purchasing
https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-documentation-current/page/Jamf_Self_Service_for_iOS.html#ari...

Please ensure you add the key between the opening (<dict) and closing (</dict>) tags. Also, ensure it does not go in between another key and value pair. If you are unsure where to add this exactly, please share a copy of your app config.

How to fix:
-Go to VPP app and paste App Config:
<dict>
<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>
<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>
<key>JSS_URL</key>
</dict>

-Once the changes are saved, we will see ‘Settings - Managed App Configuration’ MDM command sent with plist
-Kill Self Service(Might need to restart the device)
-Re-open

1. Manually delete the Self Service application from the device.
2. Find this device in Jamf Pro. Click on the device, then go to the management tab for this device.
3. Let's click on the update inventory button for this device.
4. After the inventory completes, it should realise that Self Service is not installed and try to install again.

Best regards,

schiemsk
New Contributor III

Please, that's not the point here.

lstrehlau
New Contributor II

We are having the same issue happening today. Submitting a Jamf support ticket. 

jr139
New Contributor III

I reached out to our customer success manager and they said they are aware of the issue and working on a hotfix. Not sure if we will need to adjust the App config after the hotfix is applied (hoping not) since things are now working with @m_ruehl 's app config. 

allenvanevery
New Contributor

Same issue.

Now Fixed with new config:

This is a known Product Issue, PI115080 for your reference. With the upgrade to Self Service 11.2, we will need to replace the App Configuration for the Self Service App which contains additional keys. 

We can go to the Self Service App Record > App Configuration > Edit > Remove the old App Configuration > Add the new App Configuration > Save.Once this is done, we should see Devices get sent an MDM Command (Settings - Managed App Configuration). After around 5-10 minutes we should see this command complete and Self Service should begin to work. 

Here is the new App Configuration we will want to add:

<dict>

<key>JSS_ID</key>

<string>$JSSID</string>

<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>

<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>

<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>

<key>MANAGEMENT_ID</key>

<key>UDID</key>

<string>$UDID</string>

<key>JSS_URL</key>

</dict>

Thank you, that worked for me.

jamfnc
New Contributor III

The above is working for us. Thank you.

mrearden
New Contributor

The MANAGEMENT_ID fix worked for me. A heads up from Jamf would have been nice. It caused a little stress around here!

ryan_bender
New Contributor III

Where do you find your MANAGEMENT_ID?

There's no need, the only line that you have to customize is...

...which is the URL to your Jamf server.

lstrehlau
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for this, this worked. However, Self Service is now taking a good bit of time to download on wiped devices, I am currently have been waiting 18 minutes for it to come down on an iPad. Anyone else seeing this?

It's only been 4 minutes for me so far waiting for Self Service to install on a fresh iPad.

jaellington
New Contributor III

It looks like 11.2.1 has fixed the issue.  The iPads that have that version (released today, I believe) have started working again with no changes to the app config.

mpittcasd
Contributor

Just wanted to add to this to keep it alive a little longer since I'm annoyed from being out sick and coming back to this mess. Adding the management ID lines between UDID and JSS URL fixed it up for me too. Really unacceptable to make a change like this without testing how it affects current instances of the app already installed. Thankfully everyone here is looking out for each other and we don't have to go by just the documentation since going by that also apparently didn't work.