JamfPro 10.6.0 and InnoDB settings for upgrade/new install

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

Hello all,

as suggested in the installation guide (edited 26th July) you should make some changes to my.cnf so performance issues will not occur.

So I opened my.cnf before the upgrade process (we use a Linux server so the file is found at '/etc/my.cnf') but did not find the suggested lines to change. So I upgraded to 10.6.0, maybe the lines will be added during the upgrade process but no, nothing there...

Does anyone else experience the same?
Or do we have to create them ourselves?

Original text:
'Updated 26 July 2018
Important: If installing or upgrading to Jamf Pro 10.6.0 and later, you must change the default MySQL settings to avoid performance issues. See the "Configure MySQL" section of the Creating the Jamf Pro Database Knowledge Base article for instructions.'
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/542/creating-the-jamf-pro-database

Thank you for the help,
br Thomas

6 REPLIES 6

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Thomas,

depending on your server's OS and the MySQL version you're using, the my.cnf file may be placed in another directory. For example, when Using Ubuntu 16.04 and MySQL 5.7, the config file is located in /etc/mysql/my.cnf.

Michael

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

Hi Michael,

thank you for your answer but as mentioned above I found the my.cnf file (we use CentOS 6.4, it is in /etc/my.cnf) ;)
The issue I have is that when opening the file to edit the specific lines (I do it with nano), there is no 'innodb_buffer_pool_size' or anything like 'innodb'.

Hope that clears it up,
thanks again, Thomas

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

Add the lines yourself. There are tons of config options that are not part of a default my.cnf file that can be manually added. At some point also your my.cnf might have been started from a blank slate and I’ve seen different Linux distributions have different populated content in the default my.cnf

benducklow
Contributor III

@thomas.moser For what its worth, my.cnf file on my RHEL 7 server is located in /etc and the only references to InnoDB I have is this (the innodb_buffer_pool_size is obviously commented out):

[mysqld]
# innodb_buffer_pool_size = 128M
innodb_file_per_table=ON

So this is different than what is listed in that url (https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/542/creating-the-jamf-pro-database) under the "Configure MySQL" section. This is something I will need to check out and investiagte as well before upgrading to 10.6.0...

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

Thank you for the help,
I will try and ask our contact at Jamf and post (hopefully) why we do not have these lines.

br
Thomas

benducklow
Contributor III

I reached out to my STAM @ Jamf and they came back with this info regarding InnoDB settings:

key_buffer_size - If key_buffer is higher than 16M, set this to 16M. innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit - set this to 1 (the default). The setting for 1 is the middle ground between READ/WRITE and database integrity. It is possible to increase READ/WRITE performance by setting this to 0, if injections continue to run long. innodb_buffer_pool_size - This is the amount of RAM that MySQL will utilize on the Server. This should be about 70% of the Server's RAM. Ideally, this variable will be high enough to match the Database size. This field does use single characters in the variable, so "16G" is equal to 16 GB. Make sure to leave enough RAM for the Operating System itself. The different OS's have different RAM requirements that must be met. innodb_file_per_table - set this to 1 to enable separate table saving. Restart MySQL so these changes take effect. After restarting Tomcat, verify the settings took effect: show variables like 'innodb_buffer_pool_size'; show variables like 'innodb_file_per_table'; show variables like 'innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit'; show variables like 'key_buffer_size';

I don't think this is 'official' otherwise I think they would document something like this for the masses, but maybe it would be helpful for others out there with some initial questions..