JDS on Ubuntu 14.04?

monogrant
Contributor

It looks like JDS 9.32 only supports 10.04 or 12.04. Is there a way to over-ride things to make it install on the new 14.04 TLS?

I only see the following options:

--confirm             Ask before running embedded script
  --noexec              Do not run embedded script
  --keep                Do not erase target directory after running
            the embedded script
  --nox11               Do not spawn an xterm
  --nochown             Do not give the extracted files to the current user
  --target NewDirectory Extract in NewDirectory
  --tar arg1 [arg2 ...] Access the contents of the archive through the tar command
  --                    Following arguments will be passed to the embedded script
8 REPLIES 8

justinrummel
Contributor III

Looking through the .run file there is no obvious way to update/replace/fix the version check as it's baked into the binary section of the .run file. JAMF would need to update the script. Could send an email to your account manager that is listed in your profile or add it as a feature request at: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequests.html

- Justin

monogrant
Contributor

That's what I was finding too. There isn't an occurrence of "12.04" or "10.04" in the run file. I was hoping I could just add "14.04" ;)

justinrummel
Contributor III

So doing a [code]sudo ./JDS-Linux-Installer-9.32.run --noexec --confirm --keep --target ~/test/[/code] I can then see there is a testLinuxRequirements.sh. Inside that file there is the line:

[code]if [ "$DISTRO" == "Ubuntu" ] ; then if [ "$VERSION" == "10.04" -o "$VERSION" == "12.04" ] ; then logEventContinue "$DISTRO $VERSION found" exit 0 else logEventContinue "Error: Ubuntu version must be 10.04 or 12.04 (Detected $VERSION)." exit 1 fi
[/code]

We need to add '-o "$VERSION" == "14.04"' in that 2nd "if" statement. I think you can then run DPInstaller.sh and it should work. I'll let you know!

- Justin

justinrummel
Contributor III

/facepalm grabbed the 32bit, not the AMD 64bit. This will take longer

justinrummel
Contributor III

So After running sudo chmod +x DPInstaller.sh; sudo ./DPInstaller.sh it fails the first time b/c it cannot find the apache ssl config file. Looking at the error closely, you can help it by doing sudo mv default-ssl.conf default-ssl inside the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled folder. Then running the DPInstaller.sh a 2nd time works as expected. I was able to select a couple of files to copy to my new 14.04 JDS and verify the contents exist. I would assume deploy would now work too.

Use these steps at your own risk, but they seem somewhat small risk issues.

- Justin

michaelhusar
Contributor II

May I ask a question in that context:
There is this message on my 12.04 Servers: Hardware Enablement Stack no longer supported
Option 1: Upgrade to 14.04
Option 2: install linux-generic-lts-trusty linux-image-generic-lts-trusty

Best practice would be to Upgrade to 14.04 and "pimp" the NetSUS and JDS installers ?

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Doesn't the JDS installer in 9.4 officially support 14.04 now? Is there on official upgrade process? I'd assume you'd need to upgrade the OS and then run the 9.4 installer script.

Kevin
Contributor II

JAMF published support for 14.04, but in my installation have found defects that prevent it from working. In numerous discussions with JAMF, they indicate the issues are confirmed on other installations and reproducible in house.

Before you migrate to 14.04, talk with your account manager. JAMF is diligently working to fix the issues, but I fear if you upgrade, you may wind up in an unworkable state.

JAMF support is top-notch. They have been great, but there are some issues with 14.04 that warrant caution.