JDS SMB share

icejoran
New Contributor

Hi all,

Due some unwanted behavior from AFP we decided to switch to SMB.
Now i have successfully configured a SMB share with the packages and mounting from the clients works as expected.

However when i want to netboot a new machine it reboots immediately after hitting the image button. On the server side i enabled debug mode and in the logs i see a regular disconnect when the netboot is done. It does not log errors of any kind.

Samba config:
[CasperShare] comment = CasperShare path = /usr/local/jds/shares/CasperShare browseable = yes guest ok = yes read only = no create mask = 0755 write list = jamfsus valid users = jamfsus

Can anyone give me a hint on where to look next?

Many thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

bwiessner
Contributor II

How did you create your NetBoot image?
Did you switch your PreStage Image to look at the SMB DP instead of your JDS?

icejoran
New Contributor

My netboot image was created a long time ago (not by me). I was not aware it has something todo with the DP. Prestage imaging is off.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

If pre-stage imaging and/or outrun isn't in use, Casper Imaging will pick up the DP settings configured in the JSS.

It is strange that its working ok from a policy but not with imaging. I wonder whether the Netboot image has a few different settings that is causing the issue. You could test this by booting a Mac from its hard drive, creating a spare partition, and running CI locally to see if it mounts the DP and runs ok.

That will at least rule out / in the Netboot image as the culprit.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@icejoran There's been issues in the past with NetBoot and a JDS distribution point using only SMB when trying to lay down an OS image. The problem you explain, if I recall, is what the symptoms are. I believe the problem is that on the JDS you have to have an AFP share to do imaging. I know I had the problem with my JDS when trying to lay down an OS image during imaging time until I added an AFP share and use the AFP share to image.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=386
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=369

You might also search around JAMF Nation for info on imaging with the JDS.

bwiessner
Contributor II

@icejoran

What is your imaging work flow currently? Casper Imaging points to a DP wither JDS or SMB DP.

I have used both a JDS and SMB for imaging/ self service - JDS is better with self service and SMB is better for imaging - just from my experiences in 1 specific environment.