#JNUC Stump the Chumps: Scripts and Packages

dustydorey
Contributor III

Dusty Dorey, Tom Larkin and Mile Leacy will be hosting an open session in the Nelson Classroom Tuesday, October 23 1:00 - 2:00 PM.

Having a particular script or packaging project that has you stumped? Come ready with your scripting or packaging conundrum to pose to the group. Or do you just really enjoy the challenge of scripting the un-scriptable? Come hang out with us and help your fellow JAMF Nation users solve the un-solveable.

Have something that you think is a doozy, let us know here in advance and see if the community can get a head start on it before the event!

Link to session schedule and descriptions:
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/events/user-conferences/jamf-nation-user-conference-2012/sessions

5 REPLIES 5

acdesigntech
Contributor II

Sadly I am not able to make it to JNUC :(

Does the community have any interest in a script to migrate users, data, printers, and apps from one Mac to another using only casper remote and 2 variables? I've been working on a script to do that.

It's a pretty big script so I don't want to just post it here unless people are interested. Let me know!

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

as for all stuff like this, commit your work to github, bitbucket, google code, or some other version control respository. jamf should include a section of the forum dedicated to links to helpful repositories.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Feel free to make any suggestions you wish. Others may find it useful and ask away with your solutions you provide. Sorry to hear you cannot make it this year.

I appreciate any input you or anyone else can give us.

Many thanks,

Tom

wlcasey
New Contributor III

Hi -

I would love to see the script mentioned by acdesigntech. If you could post a link, I would appreciate it. Github, Dropbox, whatever....

Thanks in advance!

acdesigntech
Contributor II

seems people are interested so here it is: http://code.google.com/p/mac-migration-tool/downloads/list

Keep in mind I wrote this in my spare time at work, so comments might be a bit off, but the code works. I haven't tested every single use case scenario, but I have tested the two below.

Essentially you use it like this: fire up casper remote and enter the username of the user you want to migrate (or common if this is a common machine or you need to move more than one user), and the name of the Mac you will be migrating FROM.

"DAC" mode is a term my company uses. DAC just means hardware refresh. No one seems to remember where the term came from or what it means :) DAC mode essentially means when you run this script on one mac (the new Mac) with the other connected in TDM. In this case you'd enter the users name that you want to migrate and the name of the NEW mac. You can also use this on a Mac on the production floor that needs to be migrated to a new Mac.