JSS 8.62 Upgrade and MySQL Issue

robb1068
Contributor

So we finally pulled the trigger on upgrading from JSS 8.4 to 8.62 yesterday and have run into an issue with MySQL. Specifically, OS X 10.6 Server is using the bundled 5.0.92 version instead of the newly installed 5.5.29 Community Server version. The JSS Database Utility appears to reflect the newer version (additional options found in 8.62 are available), but connecting to our JSS shows it's running 8.4. Restarted MySQL (even stopped and started), Tomcat and the server itself.

Any ideas? I upgraded our DEV server directly through the JSS installer a couple months ago and it's happily running 8.62 with the bundled MySQL 5.0.92. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

chris_kemp
Contributor III

When you upgraded, did you see a message about the tables being upgraded? Just a thought, but I ran into an issue awhile back upgrading from 8.21 to 8.5, where the upgrade hung on a missing table. The solution, once I figured out which table it was, was to manually create the missing table and re-do the installation. The scripts then progressed happily.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Another thought - is the newer mysql installed in the same location? With the newer OS not having mysql at all, I've found that I have to add /usr/local/mysql/bin/ to my local path to get a mysql command prompt. If you can type "mysql" and get a prompt, check the version there; if it's 5.0.92, then maybe check your $PATH for the location?

robb1068
Contributor

Hi Chris, thanks for the replies. Our JSS upgrade issue was with Tomcat... specifically I had to stop Tomcat and remove the /Library/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT folder and the Library/Tomcat/ROOT.war file, then restart Tomcat, then re-run the JSS installer.

MySQL still displays as 5.0.92. During the JSS installer process, I did get the message that tables were being upgraded. When I check whereis mysql, it points to /usr/bin/mysql. The upgraded version is located /usr/local/mysql-5.5.28-osx10.6-x86_64

So I'm guessing that if MySQL 5.5 is required to run JSS 8.62, it should be happy with its location in /usr/local/? Management of the MySQL service is still done in the Server Admin application with the MySQL pref pane simply reporting status.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Interesting...I looked at my old 10.6.8 server, and it also has mysql installed in /usr/bin. However, my new server (10.8 with manually-installed mysql) places it in /usr/local, with mysql being a link to the version folder (mysql-5.5.28-osx10.6-x86_64).

I suspect this is the difference between Apple including it in the OS, as it used to, and installing it from the Mysql package. My 10.8 server JSS works fine - but it was also a clean install rather than an upgrade.

Have you contacted Support? I would think they should be able to tell you how to reconfigure the JSS to see mysql in /usr/local rather than /usr/bin. Then, you should just have to make sure that the server was running the new version & not the old one - on the new server there's a Preference Pane included, that lets you start/stop the database and configure it to launch automatically.