JSS 9.31: Auditor + Searches...why do they have Inventory Display Options write access?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Recently migrated to JSS 9.31 and for our Help Desk we are starting with Audit template (full READ access), and adding rights to create/edit/delete searches.

Somewhere along the way these users ended up with Inventory Display Options write access...is there a way to fix this? There doesn't seem to be a JSS access checkbox for that (I remember there is/was in JSS 8.x).

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

Thanks for catching that!

I’m going to run it by development and open up a defect if necessary, as the only way I was able to stop the access to changing inventory display preferences was to take away the Read privileges for the Computers object which we obviously wouldn’t want to do for an auditing account (given that they kind of need access to that portion of the JSS to do their auditing!).

As for the why, I wish I had an answer for you there! To me it seems like this is unintended behavior and should have its own object with its own permissions in the JSS, though I could see the display options being left on to allow an auditor to display more (or less) information for their reports if they needed to, and not have to seek out someone else to temporarily give them access to do that.
On the other hand, I can also see how that could create problems if the auditor forgets to set things back to the way they were.

I'll let you know when I hear back from development on that.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

I opened it up as D-007041. Also noticed that the same thing happens with Mobile Device Inventory Display; it looks like the Mobile Devices and Computers objects are what's giving the access to change the display preferences. Obviously, we can't yank access to those two objects or the Auditors wouldn't really be able to do anything at all! For the time being, the best workaround that comes to mind is to either hope they don't notice they can change the display preferences (probably not the best option...:) ) or to just ask them to please not make changes to the inventory display preferences or, if they do need/want to change them for a certain report, to change it back to the way it was before they log out of the JSS.

Glad to hear that the new version, that little hiccup with the privileges aside, is an overall hit! There are a lot of neat things that were added.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

Looks like it may be intended behavior; what I've been told is that those display preferences are per user, not JSS wide, so which ever user is logged in is the only one who will see the inventory displayed the way they set it up.

Someone else logs in, and they'll see inventory displayed based on the settings they have chosen for Inventory Display Options.

I did mention that perhaps we need to make our documentation on that particular feature a little clearer so it's obvious that it's a per user display preference setting and not a JSS wide one. Looked over the sections (164 and 387 in the Admin’s Guide) a couple of times and saw no mention of it being 'per user'.

Hopefully, that clears it up a bit.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

Just a quick update here: Development closed out D-007041 as "not a defect" as, since the settings are per user, it's intended behavior that will not affect other users.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

7 REPLIES 7

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

Thanks for catching that!

I’m going to run it by development and open up a defect if necessary, as the only way I was able to stop the access to changing inventory display preferences was to take away the Read privileges for the Computers object which we obviously wouldn’t want to do for an auditing account (given that they kind of need access to that portion of the JSS to do their auditing!).

As for the why, I wish I had an answer for you there! To me it seems like this is unintended behavior and should have its own object with its own permissions in the JSS, though I could see the display options being left on to allow an auditor to display more (or less) information for their reports if they needed to, and not have to seek out someone else to temporarily give them access to do that.
On the other hand, I can also see how that could create problems if the auditor forgets to set things back to the way they were.

I'll let you know when I hear back from development on that.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Awesome, if this turns out to be a bug, can we get the bug number so we can track?

FWIW, folks here are excited about the new JSS, it blows away the old version. :D

--

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

I opened it up as D-007041. Also noticed that the same thing happens with Mobile Device Inventory Display; it looks like the Mobile Devices and Computers objects are what's giving the access to change the display preferences. Obviously, we can't yank access to those two objects or the Auditors wouldn't really be able to do anything at all! For the time being, the best workaround that comes to mind is to either hope they don't notice they can change the display preferences (probably not the best option...:) ) or to just ask them to please not make changes to the inventory display preferences or, if they do need/want to change them for a certain report, to change it back to the way it was before they log out of the JSS.

Glad to hear that the new version, that little hiccup with the privileges aside, is an overall hit! There are a lot of neat things that were added.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

Looks like it may be intended behavior; what I've been told is that those display preferences are per user, not JSS wide, so which ever user is logged in is the only one who will see the inventory displayed the way they set it up.

Someone else logs in, and they'll see inventory displayed based on the settings they have chosen for Inventory Display Options.

I did mention that perhaps we need to make our documentation on that particular feature a little clearer so it's obvious that it's a per user display preference setting and not a JSS wide one. Looked over the sections (164 and 387 in the Admin’s Guide) a couple of times and saw no mention of it being 'per user'.

Hopefully, that clears it up a bit.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@amanda.wulff Awesome, we have a test environment set up, confirmed Inventory Display Options are indeed per user. Thanks!

--

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@donmontalvo

Just a quick update here: Development closed out D-007041 as "not a defect" as, since the settings are per user, it's intended behavior that will not affect other users.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@amanda.wulff In by best Elvis voice..."Thank you, thank you very much!"

--