JSS Database user permissions

CapU
Contributor III

Hi all

We have our database for jamf on a separate windows machine. Yesterday vSphere had a hiccup and I was disconnected while using Casper Admin. Casper Admin would say "The Master Distribution point could not be mounted" but I can mount the share outside of Casper Admin on my desktop. (I then could open Casper Admin and it would connect) Of course Casper remote fails as the share cannot be mounted.
I thought I read somewhere that the database user requires permissions to the file share. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've always had completely separate users for the DPs and the database. There are some issues using AD accounts to allow access to the shared folders though.

CapU
Contributor III

The database user is different but it is a local account on the database machine. Does that user need access to the fileserver?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Just to check, by database user are you talking about the MySQL user that has access to the MySQL database?

The user that gives rights to the distribution point doesn't need to be the MySQL database user.

Normally if Casper admin, Casper remote etc can't mount the DP on a client, it's just a file sharing issue.

You could perform a check on the MySQL database anyway if you want to be sure.