JSS Freeze up

rohrt85
New Contributor II

Hey Everyone!

Kind of in a pickle here and I have been working on this issue for quite some time but wondering if anyone else out there might have something.

In the mornings (at about 8:05AM) my JSS will not load on the web browser until I go over to our server and restart TomCat. I have been working with JAMF agents and our network consultants but every time we think we have it fixed it goes back to the restarting. As soon as TomCat is restarted then I am good to go with JSS. I am running Casper 8.7 until we upgrade this summer.

Thanks
Ryan

6 REPLIES 6

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

What platform is your JSS on? We're on Windows. Once in awhile I see this (but not every day), and a reboot of JSS makes it go away for few months.

rohrt85
New Contributor II

We have a Mac Mini server running OS X 10.8.5

The funny thing was this weekend I didn't have to touch it once and I was able to work from home without an issue.

Chris
Valued Contributor

I could imagine that the problem is related to one or more clients not being able to submit their inventory reports,
maybe due to the SQL max packet size being set too low in the JSS Database Utility.
Check your JAMFSoftwareServer.log for entries like

[ERROR] [JAMFPreparedStatement ] - SQLException from execute: com.mysql.jdbc.PacketTooBigException: Packet for query is too large (2054502 > 1048576). You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet' variable.
[WARN ] [NewProxyPreparedStatement] - Exception on close of inner statement. com.mysql.jdbc.PacketTooBigException: Packet for query is too large (2054507 > 1048576). You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet' variable.

That would explain why it works through the weekend, when the client(s) is offline,
but crashed on monday morning when it probably tries to submit an inventory report and freezes up Tomcat in the process.

imperatives
New Contributor III

I would check the logs to get more info, but we experienced a similar issue on our Windows Server 2008 R2 JSS that was resolved by allocating additional memory to Tomcat: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=139 The freeze up occurred most often when we pushed out a user side Configuration Profile.

sggr57a
New Contributor II

Is the java process running with extremely high cpu utilization? We've experienced a similar issue recently after upgrading out MySQL environment to 5.6 and then had to downgrade to 5.5 to re-stabilize. However, that was a MySQL issue initially for us and required us restarting the mysql service. When Tomcat became an issue, java usage was very high and required restarting which is why I'd take a look at any new additions/edits to your policies which are requiring a recon. Updating inventory too often when many clients are doing this at the same time can cause Tomcat to crash depending on your server overhead. I had to redistribute our load and create new tasks so that clients weren't updating inventory at the same time. You might want to re-randomize your everyX task to accomplish this along with checking the need for certain policies to update inventory when complete.

Kprice
New Contributor III

I too have seen this. Running Mac server 10.8.5, JSS 9.2. As @imperatives did, allocated additional memory seemed to do the trick. Not sure if it was the be all, end all, but the issue hasn't resurfaced yet.