JSS in VMware vSphere ESXi

RaZ
New Contributor II

Hey All,

Is there anyone running JSS in VMware without issues? We have JSS installed on a Windows Server, under VMware, and the setup used to work. Now unfortunately, all newly enrolled computers (since the last couple of months) are not MDM enrolled and I am not able to push any configuration profiles to them. Initially we were told to upgrade our JSS environment to v9 to have it fixed but this did not work.

Note that all computers enrolled before the last couple of months continue to work, its just the new ones refuse to.

- in MySQL running following command will return the apn_token field empty for all new computers.
"select computer_name, computer_id, apn_token from computers; "

We tried to troubleshoot this problem with our Casper techs and were informed that this is likely caused by VMware. Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RaZ
New Contributor II

For those interested the issue was not with VMware environment. It was fixed by redoing the Tomcat certificate.

Thanks for help :)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

lionelgruenberg
New Contributor III

@RaZ Out of curiosity what version of VMware vSphere are you running?

lionelgruenberg
New Contributor III

@RaZ Out of curiosity what version of VMware vSphere are you running?

RaZ
New Contributor II

Its VMware vCenter Server, 4.1.0, 491557

Cheers,

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I would guess a good number of people here are running it within VMWare. Unless you're doing something non-standard in the VMWare environment, I'd have a hard time believing that is the issue. As long as you aren't individually firewalling within the hypervisor or something else on a per-VM basis, it's likely in the OS or application where the issue resides.

RaZ
New Contributor II

Not doing anything non standard and our older clients continue to work with the current setup. I would also imagine that there are alot of setups out there under VMware, and its hard for me to just blame it. Still that is what the Casper tech told us and I would like to hear from anyone else that can point me to a possible solution or perhaps confirm the VMware issue.

Thanks!

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I'm wondering, did the virtual NIC change, or something that could break certificates or UUID's on the server side? I'm just thinking out loud on that... If that were the case, you'd probably have issues with the current clients also...

krisk
New Contributor

We are running it under vSphere 5.5 with RHEL 6.4 as the guest OS. Occasionally a computer will fail to enrol, but this is only an issue we've seen under JSS 9.x, not under 8.x.

RaZ
New Contributor II

For those interested the issue was not with VMware environment. It was fixed by redoing the Tomcat certificate.

Thanks for help :)