JSS is down - Managed Macs are crashing?

britadmin
New Contributor

Hi all,

We're having some trouble with our JSS VM right now, and whilst resolving that is our primary aim, it seems to be causing some issues with client Macs in the mean time.

Ever since it went down, we're having a ton of reports of slow logins, crashing and outright freezing on our managed Macs. The various unmanaged ones are experiencing no such issues, and we've had a good long look at AD and DNS to see if they were causing any issues.

Is there any aspect of the client binaries which could cause these issues, if it were unable to check in to the JSS? Tomcat is stopped on the VM so we can work on a database restore, is there anything else I could try on the VM side? Or is there a script I could run on a test Macs to temporarily stop the client binaries trying to check in, and see if this helps?

2 REPLIES 2

maxbehr
Contributor II

Having the JSS unavailable should not be causing any managed Macs to crash. They might experience a slight slowdown at login as they attempt to checkin for policies but nothing too excessive. The only thing I can think of is if you had cached policies or scripts that were scheduled to run even when offline may be causing an issue but even then they should timeout, then cache the results until the JSS becomes available.

bradtchapman
Valued Contributor II

If you had any cached policies with scripts that are dependent upon the JSS being available, such as a login hook that updates the API, it could cause these kinds of issues. But generally speaking, no. Plenty of companies take their JSS offline for upgrades and managed devices will simply wait and keep retrying until it comes back online.