Latest Parallels 10 Build Breaks Auto Deploy?

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

So I replaced my copy of Parallels Desktop Autodeploy with the latest copy from the vendor (10.2.1), and it now fails to install. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

17 REPLIES 17

jmei
New Contributor

I've noticed the same issue here. Seems Parallels installs fine for the most part but the autodeploy fails for me during the serialization part, so when the user opens Parallels, they're prompted to sign in to a Parallels account. I also tried putting the serialization part into a separate script to run as a policy (prlsrvctl install-license -k --deferred) but that failed too. I previously had 10.2.0 up on the JSS and it deployed fine and testing the separate activation policy also worked fine.

Curiously, running the same exact command in the Terminal locally works fine, so for now I'm resorting to wrapping the licensing command using osascript for the user to run in Self Service. Terminal opens, runs the command, pauses for 15 seconds to give the command enough time to run, then closes.

#!/bin/bash
osascript -e 'tell application "Terminal" to do script "prlsrvctl install-license -k <yourkeyhere> --deferred"'
sleep 15
osascript -e 'tell application "Terminal" to quit'

Not the most elegant of solutions but it works. The autodeploy packager hasn't been updated in a while so will probably have to wait for Parallels to fix.

jmei
New Contributor

Yep, our Parallels contact verified the issue. They're working on it.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Looks to be having the same issue again with Parallels 11 and Autodeploy v1.2.5.

Peterson
New Contributor

There is an issue with the Mass Deployment Package and PD 11. THe problem is being worked on and I will post here when the issue is resolved.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Thanks! Is there also going to be any plan to disable the "Installs Windows 10" option? I'd prefer if my users don't have that until we're ready to support it.

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Does Parallels Desktop 11 have different installer for personal & business edition?

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

I don't believe there is no. The installer link I was forwarded from our business rep is the same installer downloadable from the Parallels site.

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Thanks Andrew. We don't include license in the Autodeploy package. We comment out all the License part in the Autodeploy. When it tries to set the cep to off it shows "set command option is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition".

It shows Parallels Desktop business edition only after the License Activation.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@karthikeyan.mac yea I noticed that as well when I was trying to come up with a workaround for PD11 failing to package correctly. This may be something being addressed by Parallels since they seem to know there is an issue already.

karthikeyan_mac
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I am using Parallels Autodeploy 1.2.5 for packaging Parallels Desktop 11. When installed the package for the first time its fails with the error "prlsrvctl: command not found". If I install the same package again, it installs and work. Also we don't include License in the package, we comment the License part. Since its not activated we can't use "prlsrvctl set" commands, it will display "set command option is available only in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro or Business Edition"

Thanks & Regards,
Karthikeyan

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@karthikeyan.mac If you need to get the Parallels 11 instances out the door right away, one thing you might want to try is to repackage the prlsrctl commands and deploy those with an earlier preference order to see if that addresses the issues. I haven't tested this but I will and can report back.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Looks like Parallels released v1.2.7 of the deployment tool.

Peterson
New Contributor

Hey Andrew,
This is a new build that has been updated for v11 and is backward compatible. Please let me know right away if you have any issues with it.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Thanks @Peterson! I'm testing it out now and it looks to package the License Key correctly, however the CEP and other optional settings do not appear to set correctly.

[Edit]: Deploying through JAMF appears to set most things correctly. My initial tests were done as direct PKG installs which did not set CEP or preferred directory.

ITVTickets
New Contributor

can anyone tell me where v1.2.7 is located as I can only find 1.2.5 on this link http://kb.parallels.com/en/120093

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@ITVTickets These are the direct download links I use to grab everything:

Parallels AutoDeploy Download (Current v1.2.7)
http://download.parallels.com/desktop/tools/pd-autodeploy.zip
Latest PD 11
http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/
Latest PD 10
http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10/

ITVTickets
New Contributor

thanks for the links @andrew.nicholas