sprintership
New Contributor II

Seems like I cannot finish jamfproinstaller 

mysql  Ver 8.0.35 for Linux on x86_64

openjdk version "11.0.21" 2023-10-17 LTS

Installing...
Executing set-java-home...
JAVA_HOME is ''...
Setting JAVA_HOME to '/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-11.0.21.0.9-2.0.1.el8.x86_64'
Starting Tomcat Installation
Detected previously installed Tomcat...
Upgrading Tomcat service...
Reloading system daemon...
Enabling Tomcat to run at startup...
Copying backup of Tomcat (/usr/local/jss/tomcat) to /usr/local/jss/backups/tomcat/2023-11-07_07-53-12...
Copying Tomcat files...
Setting permissions...
Restoring /usr/local/jss/tomcat/conf/*.xml...
Transforming the server.xml...
Error: Could not transform the server.xml

Any thoughts? 

9 REPLIES 9

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

What version of Linux is this? Check the permissions for server.xml. Personally, I have never seen this error running Jamf Pro on Linux. Are there any further steps that are visible to you after the error?

sprintership
New Contributor II

Oracle Linux 8.8.

I have changed server.xml permission from root to jamftomcat and 0755 ,but still no luck. 

● jamf.tomcat8.service - Jamf Pro Application Container
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/jamf.tomcat8.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2023-11-07 09:55:29 CST; 594ms ago
Process: 6428 ExecStop=/usr/local/jss/tomcat/bin/shutdown.sh (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 6372 ExecStart=/usr/local/jss/tomcat/bin/startup.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 6404 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Nov 07 09:55:29 jssnew systemd[1]: jamf.tomcat8.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Nov 07 09:55:29 jssnew systemd[1]: jamf.tomcat8.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

sprintership
New Contributor II

dammm seems like Linux 8 is not supported:

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-release-notes-10.50.0/page/System_Requirements.html

I will try with Oracle Linux 7 which should be supported. 

Ubuntu is supported. Why not use that instead? Before I started my current job, I ran 8 on premise Jamf Pro servers on Ubuntu. None of them ever had an issue like this. My favorite Linux distro is CentOS. Jamf Pro will run on it, but I always ran Jamf Pro an officially supported Linux distro to avoid having Jamf tell me something isn't working because it's not a supported version of Linux. Oracle Linux is not listed as a supported server OS.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 15.20.43.png

the problem is Linux 8 version vs 7 - they support RHEL 7 which is same sh.... as Oracle Linux 7. I dont use Ubuntu. I use RHEL Oracle Linux

And yes I installed jamfpro script on Oracle Linux 7 and it worked like charm. But version 7 is reaching closely EOL. So I will wait for 8 fully supported. Does not make sense the change CEntos 7 to Rhel 7 or Oracle Linux 7 where they EOL at the same time. 

If it works for you, that's good. I don't ever want to be given the bad news that my problem is being caused by an unsupported server OS, and I never want anyone at Jamf to give up on working to solve an issue for me because the OS I'm running is not supported. I can understand why some people have loyalty to a Linux distro. For business use, I don't have time for servers going down so I use what Jamf tells me to use.

Point is, it makes no sense to run this on Oracle/RHEL. Ubuntu LTS is supported and works like a charm for us, running a pretty large-sized multi-server instance on it.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

My favorite is CentOS and I use it when it's for my personal use, or if it's not for Jamf Pro, but I have gotten very used to Ubuntu over the last several years.