Linux RHEL/SCCM issues

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

We're in a very controlled environment (who isn't, right?) where we've got Quest AD and McAfee (plus others) running on our servers. When I try to install the SCCM Plugin (both 3.21 and 3.30) I get an error of:

[root@loujsslts01 ~]# java -jar /tmp/JSSSCCMPluginInstaller3.30.jar Copied SCCM2012Plugin.jar
Copied PluginSettings91.jar
Copied sccm.jsp
touch: cannot touch `/Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log': No such file or directory

chown: cannot access `/Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log': No such file or directory

chmod: cannot access `/Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log': No such file or directory

Would you like to restart Tomcat? (Y/n) : y
tomcat stopped
tomcat started
To configure the plug-in go to https://jss.mycompany.corp:8443/pluginSettings.html?plugin=sccm
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root

and it also seems to cause issues to my
/usr/local/jss/tomcat/webapps/ROOT

directory. As a result, to bring my server back online, I have to run the complete reinstall of the JSS, and as a result, the plugin is removed. Looking at the error line of
touch: cannot touch `/Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log': No such file or directory

chown: cannot access `/Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log': No such file or directory

chmod: cannot access `/Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log': No such file or directory

looks very much like it's failing on an OS X install, not a Linux/RHEL install.

I am going to try to spin up a virtual test server with no administrative tools and see if it fails doing that. However, I wanted to see if others had encountered this or not to save me time.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

drhoten
Contributor II

Hi Ed -

This actually appears to be an issue with our plug-in installer, and defect D-006408 has already been opened.

Can you get in touch with support to open a case, and let them know to link your case to this defect? (If you could also let them know which distribution of linux and version of RHEL you are using, that would also be super helpful.)

In the mean time, you can also try to manually create the log file needed by the plug-in by running something similar to (assuming your path to the JSS is the same)

sudo touch /usr/local/jss/logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log

and then modify the permissions on the file, so they are the same as JAMFSoftwareServer.log by running something like

sudo chown tomcat7:root /usr/local/jss/logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log

And then restart your JSS.

Thanks.

Doug

jrippy
Contributor II

Hey Ed,

We found and reported the same thing for 3.21. We haven't tried 3.3 yet but it was on our radar for the next month or so.

drhoten: We also reported the plug-in requires Tomcat 7. We are still on Tomcat 6 as RHEL6 doesn't support Tomcat 7.

We haven't heard anything back with regards to that defect.

Jeff

drhoten
Contributor II

Hi Jeff -

Thanks for pointing the issue with Tomcat6. I see we have a defect written up for it (D-005513) but that it has been classified as a documentation defect. Let me dig into and I'll have someone follow-up with you directly.

Doug

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Hey @drhoten][/url and @jrippy][/url. I actually opened a case and @ian.hansen][/url and I were trying a few things.

I created a new server with none of those tools and it worked as expected. So it looks like this is an issue with one of the tools we¹re running (McAfee/Quest/??). If you think there's actually a fix around it, I'll try it.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

@drhoten when I create the directory myself, run the installer, and reboot the JSS I get an error that I can't connect to the server (I can email screen grab). If I run the installer and don't reboot, my JSS just goes to an https://jss:8443/index.html with essential a 404 error (blank page - no content).

drhoten
Contributor II

Hi @easyedc & @jrippy -

Defect D-005513 has now been correctly reclassified as a plug-in defect, so it will get assigned to my team but I am not sure when.

In the mean time, would either of you be interested in steps for manually installing the plug-in?

Doug

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

@drhoten I would be interested to see if a manual install would work. We've had to do manual installs of our JSS in the past probably due to the same thing, where not all components are installing. Surprisingly, that seems to be resolved in the ver. 9.24 installer.

drhoten
Contributor II

Below are the steps for manually installing the plug-in, but there's one thing you might also want to check first.

The installer may be failing on linux because the path to the JAMFSoftwareServer.log in log4j.properties is wrong. The installer checks this file to see where the log file is located, and then creates the SCCM log in the same directory.

Doug

Check the following log4j settings file for the correct path of the server log

/usr/local/jss/tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties

This is wrong

log4j.appender.JAMF=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.JAMF.File=/Library/JSS/Logs/JAMFSoftwareServer.log

This is right, assuming the default installation path of the JSS

log4j.appender.JAMF.File=/usr/local/jss/logs/JAMFSoftwareServer.log

Steps for manually installing the SCCM Plug-in

1. Get the files needed
  2. Copy JSSSCCMPluginInstaller3.30.jar to JSSSCCMPluginInstaller3.30.zip and unzip it to JSSSCCMPluginInstaller3.30
  3. Copy the files (for a JSS >= 9.1 then copy PluginSettings91.jar)
  4. Copy '/JSSSCCMPluginInstaller3.30.jar/SCCM2012Plugin.jar' to '/Library/JSS/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/SCCM2012Plugin.jar'
  5. Copy '/JSSSCCMPluginInstaller3.31.jar/PluginSettings91.jar' to '/Library/JSS/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib/PluginSettings.jar'
  6. Copy '/JSSSCCMPluginInstaller3.31.jar/sccm.jsp' to '/Library/JSS/Tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/frontend/sccm.jsp'
  7. On Linux, create the log file & update it's permissions (use the same permission as other files in that directory)
  8. sudo touch /Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log
  9. chown tomcat7:root /Library/JSS/Logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log
  10. Restart Tomcat7 (adjust for Tomcat6 if needed)
  11. /etc/init.d/jamf.tomcat7 stop
  12. /etc/init.d/jamf.tomcat7 start

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I had to rerun the JSS installer and then the SCCM installer and it did not error our, however it still seems to have not worked. Here's the output from the log file: ```
! An appender for file-based Change Management logging
log4j.appender.JAMFCMFILE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.JAMFCMFILE.File=/usr/local/jss/logs/JAMFChangeManagement.log
log4j.appender.JAMFCMFILE.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.JAMFCMFILE.MaxBackupIndex=10
log4j.appender.JAMFCMFILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.JAMFCMFILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%m%n
log4j.appender.JAMFCMFILE.encoding=UTF-8

! An appender for Syslog-based Change Management logging
log4j.appender.JAMFCMSYSLOG=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.JAMFCMSYSLOG.syslogHost=127.0.0.1:514
log4j.appender.JAMFCMSYSLOG.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.JAMFCMSYSLOG.layout.ConversionPattern=%m%n
log4j.appender.JAMFCMSYSLOG.Facility=local2

! The basic appender definitions for com.jamfsoftware.jss classes
log4j.appender.JAMF.File=/usr/local/jss/logs/JAMFSoftwareServer.log
log4j.appender.JAMF.MaxFileSize=100MB
log4j.appender.JAMF.MaxBackupIndex=10
log4j.appender.JAMF.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.JAMF.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} [%-5p] [%-11.11t] [%-25.25c{1}] - %m%n
log4j.appender.JAMF.encoding=UTF-8

log4j.logger.com.jamfsoftware.jss.changemanagement.file=INFO,JAMFCMFILE
log4j.additivity.com.jamfsoftware.jss.changemanagement.file=false

log4j.logger.com.jamfsoftware.jss.changemanagement.syslog=INFO,JAMFCMSYSLOG
log4j.additivity.com.jamfsoftware.jss.changemanagement.syslog=false

log4j.logger.org.apache.http.wire=ERROR

log4j.rootLogger=INFO,JAMF

log4j.appender.JAMFSCCM2012=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.JAMFSCCM2012.File=/usr/local/jss/logs/JSS_SCCM_Plugin.log
log4j.appender.JAMFSCCM2012.MaxFileSize=10MB
log4j.appender.JAMFSCCM2012.MaxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.JAMFSCCM2012.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.JAMFSCCM2012.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} [%-11.11t] [%-5p] - %m%n
log4j.appender.JAMFSCCM2012.encoding=UTF-8

log4j.logger.com.jamfsoftware.sccmplugin.core.JssSccmPlugin=INFO,JAMFSCCM2012
log4j.additivity.com.jamfsoftware.sccmplugin.core.JssSccmPlugin=false
```
and it looks like the logs were written correctly.

drhoten
Contributor II

Hi Ed -

After installing both the JSS plug-in and the JSS SCCM Proxy service (the windows service) were you seeing any errors in either of those log files, or were you receiving an error when trying to configure the plug-in?

Doug