localhost.plist file disappearing

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Hi folks,

Has anyone run across an issue where the localhost.plist file disappears seemingly randomly? I've opened a case with Apple and their support staff says they have only seen this issue with clients using MCX managed by Casper, but I have not been able to reproduce the issue. It seems to be triggered by moving across network segments that do/don't have MCX applied but there seems to be another factor involved that I can't figure out.

Thanks,
Alex

3 REPLIES 3

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Casper leverages local MCX & refreshes them @ every login.

Maybe something to test?

Manually make some local MCX & refresh the MCX. (There must be some resources on this somewhere).

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, there is almost certainly an MCX-related issue here, I am seeing these entries in the system.log which disappear after Casper performs its daily inventory (which is when the localhost file disappears). I assume Casper is doing what the OS is recommending:

ManagedClient[28493]: MCXCCacheGraph(localhost, dsRecTypeStandard:Computers): The record "localhost" (dsRecTypeStandard:Computers) interferes with the computer cache. Delete this record to resume caching.

clegger06
New Contributor III

@alexjdale or @bentoms ,

I realize this post is super old but I am running into this exact issue.

@alexjdale did you find a solution to this problem? I will have to educate myself on MCX as I am not familiar.

Any information you can provide would be great. Thank you.