Locate where packages and scripts are used....

mconners
Valued Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I know there is a feature request out there for finding where groups are used. Does anyone know if there is a feature request to find out where packages and scripts are used? I am going to be doing a lot of clean up of our JSS this summer and was hoping there might be a way to do this but I am not finding one off hand.

So, I expect I will be making some spreadsheets to determine where a package or script is used so I don't accidentally break something. To that end, I thought a feature request would be great so we can get this done in a future version of JAMF Pro and eliminate the mundane tasks of doing this manually.

One would think this would easy. Find the package, script, policy, group or other items in the JSS and find the locations where that item is used or referenced.

If you know of the feature request, please share so we can vote it up. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I feel almost certain there is a Feature request or 3 out there already asking for this. I'll see if I can locate it for you and post back.

In the interim, there are some scripts and other custom tools the community has built to help build reports on what is being used where in your JSS. They are not all the same and some may do what you're after and others may not. But I would do some searches on the topic here and see if you can find the references to them.

Shameless self plug: If you want, I have built some scripts that can help with this, that you can find here: https://github.com/mm2270/Casper-API Look for the one called JSS-Package-Report.sh. There are some other "report" API scripts there as well. Be forewarned that these scripts can take a while to produce a report because it has to do a lot of downloading and cross referencing.

EDIT: Here is one of the FRs: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/75/display-policies-assigned-to-packages-scripts-a...
Note that it has 16 duplicates! So yeah, definitely should be a thing.

mconners
Valued Contributor

Thank you @mm2270 I appreciate this a bunch!! I will dig into these and see what I can find.