Location Services on Shared iPads doesn't ask me to enable it

cnelson
Contributor

I am playing around with Shared iPads. I noticed that even though I have Location Services unchecked in my Prestage Enrollment for Shared iPads, it doesn't actually ever pop up for me to enable. So by default it is disables. Which puts my ipad in the wrong time zone thus showing the wrong time. Once I manually log in on an account and turn it on, it instantly updates the time. But every user is going to have to manually turn that on for the time to be right. That's annoying. Anybody else seen this with their shared environment?

19 REPLIES 19

tgunkel
New Contributor

yes I have the same situation and have not yet addressed it yet

dan86
New Contributor

Do you have any restriction been pushed to the device? I believe it your restriction that causing it to be disabled not able to select.

cnelson
Contributor

I can enable manually once the device has gone through the setup assistant. No restrictions enabled. What I'm saying is that it doesn't ever ask me to enable or disable in the setup assistant. It never prompts for it. Once going to MultiUser mode, I select language, country, wifi and then straight to changing passcode from temporary and that's it. Hello screen. No location services.

bfrench
Contributor III

We had the same experience - but at least it only had to be set once per device. And since we logged in all users in order to change to "our" passwords - we took care of it then.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

It is a bug, on Apple's end.

Just one of the many things that made me stop considering Shared Mode.

cnelson
Contributor

Ok, thanks all. I guess we will have to see what Apple does to rectify some of these problems.

cnelson
Contributor

So on an iPad with iOS 9.3.5, it did ask me to Enable Location Services before it pushed down my configs and put the iPad in Shared Use Mode. I am going to test to see if it may be a bug with the new iOS 10.

cnelson
Contributor

So interesting info, when I send a wipe command on a shared iPad from the JSS and go through the setup process, it does not ask me to enable location services and once the iPad restarts into multi-user mode, I can't get on wifi. But when I DFU the iPad and go through the setup, it does ask me to enable Location Services and then once rebooted into multi-user mode stays on Wi-Fi. Wierd. Very interesting.

Here's my other discussion on that part:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=21541

hsekiv
Contributor

This appears to be a known issue with Apple. My shared iPads with DEP only get to WiFi, then install our profile, restart and are in shared iPad mode. I have to login once (with any student), enable location services and Siri, and then it sticks for all other users. Thankfully I only have about 70 iPads to do this with, but hopefully this does get resolved.

m_green
New Contributor III

Location services will only work for us if each user enables it manually.

bvondeylen
Contributor II

I just began experimenting with Shared iPads this week (November 2016); I have found that not only does the iPad not ask you to enable Location Services and it is defaulted to OFF, but it is defaulted to OFF for each user that logs in as well. Each user must toggle Location Services ON.

Not a big issue (though an issue) for older students, but for younger students, this is a problem. The very group of users for which Shared iPad was designed. :(

I am currently using iOS 10.1.1

bfrench
Contributor III

Currently in the process of summer setups and this still seems to be an issue. We are wiping devices in order to remove users and enroll process still skips location services setup.

cindy_murphy
New Contributor

Does each user still need to turn location services on with a shared iPad?

crussell
New Contributor

We have the problems as well. Has anyone worked out a fix yet or do we still need to enable location services manually for shared iPads?

iBSC
New Contributor III

Hi, has anyone figured got this working? If you have 1000's of iPads all with the wrong time what is the solution ?

iBSC
New Contributor III

So it seems like you can't have location services on for shared iPads :( This is quite ridiculous as when you need to track where the student iPads are, or even set the correct time it's impossible to setup.

Jamf, can you keep us updated on this?

bfrench
Contributor III

Location Services can be on for Shared iPads - but you must manually flip the switch on each device.

We set our student passwords for them. So we have our summer tech helpers login to the Shared devices to set the passwords for the new apple ID's. Once they are logged in with a user account we have them set the Location Services switch. It only needs to be set once per device.

iBSC
New Contributor III

This is the issue.. if you have 100's of iPads and have to do this for each one manually then you start to question why you have an MDM.
Every student by default doesn't have the correct time nor can you locate the iPad due to not having location services on.

Jamf know about this so I'm hoping we'll get this fixed.

bfrench
Contributor III

Unfortunately this is an Apple issue - and the engineers are well aware - but still no solution. Shared iPads were good in theory - but there are too many issues that plague use.