Lock Desktop Picture

Hawky
New Contributor III

I have a Configuration Profile with a number of Restrictions set, but I am having problems with the Desktop tab.

The wallpaper is set to /.corp/Wallpapers/Staff-Standard.jpg, but the Lock Desktop Picture option prevents users from changing the wallpaper even when it's unchecked.

Ideally we'd like for the corporate wallpaper to be set by default, but give people the opportunity to change it if they wish to (leaving the decision up to individual managers). Having the Lock Desktop Picture option unchecked should do this, but it's not working.

Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

thoule
Valued Contributor II

I found this on an rtrouton blog (https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/mavericks-desktop-background-picture-settings-moved-from-librarypreferencescom-apple-desktop-plist/)

Copy your image to /Users/Shared/CorpImage.jpg, then issue this command. I think for this one, the user needs to be logged in when you run it.

osascript -e "tell application "System Events" to set picture of every desktop to "/Users/Shared/CorpImage.jpg""

This information is saved in "/Users/Hawky/Library/Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db" so you could distribute that file to your users in their user directories of course.

View solution in original post

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

My environment has the same requirement.

I am using this

I have a policy to "cache" the script and a second policy set to run once per user per computer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Rayfield
New Contributor III

We've personally just used Composer for this. Open it up (New and modified), changed the desktop picture, and then set save it. I believe it's just one plist file that gets saved, apple.desktop.plist maybe?. You could do that, push it out, and it would change everyones desktop for that.

For you it would be the plist file and also the desktop picture itself.

We do it so our students can't change the desktop picture, we set it to reset on every logout, but you could always do it just once per computer.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

I found this on an rtrouton blog (https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/10/26/mavericks-desktop-background-picture-settings-moved-from-librarypreferencescom-apple-desktop-plist/)

Copy your image to /Users/Shared/CorpImage.jpg, then issue this command. I think for this one, the user needs to be logged in when you run it.

osascript -e "tell application "System Events" to set picture of every desktop to "/Users/Shared/CorpImage.jpg""

This information is saved in "/Users/Hawky/Library/Application Support/Dock/desktoppicture.db" so you could distribute that file to your users in their user directories of course.

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

My environment has the same requirement.

I am using this

I have a policy to "cache" the script and a second policy set to run once per user per computer.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

The method @ShaunM9483 is using is what we will begin to use with 10.11.

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

(deleted - weird that I got a double post hours apart)

Sanchi
Contributor

In my environment I change/replace the default wallpaper in /Libraries/Desktop Pictures/

In Mavericks it's Wave.jpg
In Yosemite it's Yosemite.jpg
In El Capitan it's El Capitan.jpg

I then drag it into Composer. Then I also add in our custom default login wallpaper located at /Library/Caches/com.apple.desktop.admin.png

I make the two images similar so there's a seamless transition between the login screen and desktop. It's a nice effect.

Then add a chflags script to the policy to lock the login wallpaper so OSX doesn't overwrite it.

Lots of ways to skin this cat

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Hawky sounds like a bug to me. Could be worth popping it over to JAMF support so they can log it.

I just tried Graham's python script mentioned above on 10.11.3. Worked fine. I'm always in favour of python or bash commands/scripts over file copies, particularly in the later OS versions.

Hawky
New Contributor III

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll give a few of them a try with the test group and see how they get on.

Hawky
New Contributor III

I've reported it to JAMF as a possible bug with 9.82 :)