Login issues with Filevault?

acamare10
Contributor

We had a number of users who came in with the same issue. After inputting their password they get stuck with the loading bar and never progresses (image provided). I have been thinking it is a Filevault related issue? Has anyone encountered something similar to this?

IMG_1521 Medium.jpeg

\\

8 REPLIES 8

maxhewett
New Contributor II

Yep we have been experiencing this in one environment also. So far haven't come up with a clear root cause & our only solution is to stop users from rebooting, back the device up, wipe it, reinstall macOS then recreate the user and copy it back across. Would love a solution that isn't this complex...

maxhewett
New Contributor II

Update: fixed by doing the following:

#reboot to recovery, open terminal

rm -rf /Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/*

mkdir /Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Settings

touch /Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Settings/.profilesAreInstalled

Hello, thanks for the reply. 

When I type the second command "mkdir /Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Settings" i get a "No such file or directory" message

maxhewett
New Contributor II

Sorry about that. You’ll need to escape the space (Macintosh\ HD) in both commands.

Got it, after that do I just restart the macbook?

Thanks

Thanks for all the help, for some reason it worked on one and did not work on 5 other computers. Not sure if I am mistyping something but I connat see why it will not work on the others.

Thanks

maxhewett
New Contributor II

Yep, after that a reboot should fix it. An easy way to check for others that will have this issue is if they have lots of "general" profiles showing as installed when you check Jamf Pro. If they do, you'll need to perform this step or script it if you're happy to do that. We have moved to scripting the removal of the corrupted profiles that are causing this, that was we don't need to boot into recovery and physically touch every device.

Got it, it worked and I was able to login. On jamf this is what I see when i click on the laptop management. Not sure why these commands are stuck

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 10.39.52 AM.png