Login / Logout Status

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Some of our older machines take a bit longer to login and some users think that they need to pull the power cord (it makes me cringe) and restart them. I would like to have a script (or something else) that would show them the status of the login (applying profiles, applying. . ., logging in) at the corner of the screen. Does anybody know of something that can do this? Maybe a login script? I have added lock screen messages but, nobody really reads them!

Thanks,
Jared

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

The default JSS message at login may be enough (Computer Management > Check-In > Login / Logout Hooks > Display status of login/logout hook actions to users).

If you would like a bit more feedback for the users, switch that off and replace it with a custom script that uses JAMFHelper.

Not sure if there's any way you could speed up the login process. What is it doing at login that is making it stall?

View solution in original post

jjones
Contributor II

@jared_f

You will need to look into making your script work as a loginhook or it will not run until login success. That is essentially what @davidacland showing you with the JSS option.

Here's an idea of where to start here https://support.apple.com/de-at/HT2420

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

The default JSS message at login may be enough (Computer Management > Check-In > Login / Logout Hooks > Display status of login/logout hook actions to users).

If you would like a bit more feedback for the users, switch that off and replace it with a custom script that uses JAMFHelper.

Not sure if there's any way you could speed up the login process. What is it doing at login that is making it stall?

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@davidacland We actually decided to write a script that would pop up and inform the user of what is happening during login. The issue. . . Pop ups only pop up with the home screen after login. Do you know away around this? Thanks!

jjones
Contributor II

@jared_f

You will need to look into making your script work as a loginhook or it will not run until login success. That is essentially what @davidacland showing you with the JSS option.

Here's an idea of where to start here https://support.apple.com/de-at/HT2420

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@jjones That looks like it will work for us. Thank you.

jjones
Contributor II

I might add that you will need to be careful with this part noted in the list, it can cause a infinite hang at the login screen.

Other login actions wait until the hook has completely executed.