Login not possible on mavericks after sleep/wake

dzodze00
New Contributor

Hello,
I am a student worker at Colorado College IT Department and we currently have a login problem after upgrading to mavericks. Once the computer goes to sleep, student accounts do not work until the administrator login is used once after the sleep.(We basically have to use the administrator login every time the computer wakes before any account on my network works). We called Apple several times but their suggestions do not work. Any help will be appreciated.Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

pblake
Contributor III

Are you using a third party plugin to join a domain? It's a known issue with 10.9.x and third party directory plugins. We use Centrify and it's a problem.

stevevalle
Contributor III

We have seen the same problem after upgrading to Mavericks. After the computer goes to sleep, we need to restart before an AD user can login.

I'm curious... What did Apple suggest @dzodze00?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Hey all,
Apple has released a fix for an issue with Mavericks losing wireless connections after sleep which would kill your domain connection as well. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1755?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 Update is recommended for all Mavericks users. It improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac.

This update:

Fixes an issue that prevented some Macs from automatically connecting to known Wi-Fi networks
Improves the reliability of wake from sleep
Includes Safari 7.0.5

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

michaelhusar
Contributor II

We are on 10.9.4 and on Ethernet-cable. Still - after sleep the time is far off - one or more hours. No AD login possible of course. We have set all machines to our own timeserver.
Any help?

nigelg
Contributor

My scenario: Mavericks clients (10.9.4), connected with Apple AD connector to Active directory. It seems when some machines sleep, you can't log in with an AD account but have to restart the Mac.

I am currently testing a possible solution (or first part of one anyway). If the root user runs "killall opendirectoryd" then my AD users are able to log in. Now I need a way to run that command when the machine wakes from sleep.

bapettit
New Contributor

We were having similar issues. We now have a policy that runs "ntpdate -u time.apple.com" once a week and it seems to have fixed most of our problems. Even once a week, I'm seeing about a 10 sec time drift.

bray_298
New Contributor

I have the OP's exact issue. I can ssh into the machine, id the users, talk to active directory and run "ntpdate" (which doesn't fix the problem). But I simply cannot log in. Nothing unusual pops into any log file that I have been able to find. I set both opendirectoryd.log and system.log to debug, which resulted in hundreds of lines of output, but nothing unusual.

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Hi Paul,

Yes - we used sleepwatcher as tijones outlined in https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9689 and despite people saying it was fixed in 10.9.3, that was not my exprerience but that workaround did the trick for the labs we manage

Regards,

David