lpadmin Group for Printer Pane Access

TylerC
New Contributor III

Hello, We are looking to allow our users access to the print options on the mac with out full admin credentials. I was going to throw this: /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a 'Domain Users' -t group lpadmin
into the jss scripts but I saw a post that lpadmin also gives users root. I want to make sure that adding users to lpadmin will only allow print administrative changes and nothing else.
Throwing that into the scripts and pushing it out should accomplish our task though correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

maxbehr
Contributor II

I use the everyone group instead…

dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a everyone -t group lpadmin

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

You can verify the groups which are able to use sudo by running sudo cat /etc/sudoers and looking through there. For example, a portion of my sudoers file contains:

root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
%admin  ALL=(ALL) ALL

That will allow the root account to use sudo (which makes sense), as well as anyone in the "admin" group. Since "lpadmin" is not listed, it gains no special privileges.

TylerC
New Contributor III

Perfect, I checked and my system did not have lpadmin in that file.

By dropping /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a 'Domain Users' -t group lpadmin into the script section in the JSS and pushing it out, I would accomplish the task at hand then correct?

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@TylerC

yes sir. Use that command as part of my first boot script

TylerC
New Contributor III

Hi all, Still no luck. I tried with a test account who is in Domain Users and it did not give that account lpadmin permission.
7ab53036b72c403b8597342db948e6bd
30420da7b8fe41e5903f7d2c97d2a599
00c69073528c481f8b12d453507cdf5d

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@TylerC

This is what use. Check your syntax:
/usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a "mydoman hegroupineedtouse" -t group lpadmin. depedning on the version of JSS you may need to use graveticks(') instead of quotes(")

Larry

TylerC
New Contributor III

I tried the command: /usr/sbin/dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a "exchangeDomain Users" -t group lpadmin

Still no results. No addition to group member ship. I am running 9.96.

maxbehr
Contributor II

I use the everyone group instead…

TylerC
New Contributor III

That would not mess anything up with the local admin account correct?

maxbehr
Contributor II

No the local admin account is not changed in anyway. It basically adds any valid user on the system to the lpadmin group.

TylerC
New Contributor III

I attempted this via script and it does not appear to work as-well. The script completed but it did not give the account permission to access the printer pane. It still is requiring an admin account (and rejects this account).
I have verified that the user account is not in the lpadmin group.

maxbehr
Contributor II

@TylerC when you go to add a printer are you attempting to click the lock icon? If so the aforementioned script does not allow the user to unlock that lock. It does however make the () icon available to the user to add a printer. I've always thought it a bug that the lock remains locked, but the user can click the icon to add a printer. (It also would allow them to add a printer via lpadmin on the command line)

TylerC
New Contributor III

The account is not in the lpamdin group when I issue the dscl . -read /Groups/lpadmin GroupMembership

I did log into the account and it does appear that you are correct. I am able to pause and resume the print queues along with add printers.

kwsenger
Contributor

What would be the reverse command to reset the lpadmin group back to the OSX default members?
i.e. take away the printing rights for standard users?

We ran this command.

The reverse of the above command: swap everyone for admin
dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a admin -t group lpadmin

The_Smith13
New Contributor

From a security perspective, is there any issues with adding "everyone" to the lpadmin group? I wanted to deploy this in our environment but our Security team is pushing back because it's adding "everyone". They'd like to see this narrowed down to authenticated users but everything I'm reading on here seems to point to nothing else working except "everyone".

Tssadmin
New Contributor II

This worked for me as for as adding the domain user and "Domain User" group to lpadmin group
dscl . -append /Groups/admin GroupMembership 'DomainDomain user or group'. The issue is the plus sign is still greyed out and the user is not able to add a printer. but when I run "dscl . -read /Groups/lpadmin GroupMembership". the user and domain group is listed.