Lync 14.0.7

sumit_batra
New Contributor

I am trying to create a package for Lync 14.0.7 using composer Normal Snapshot option. However, it always capture my username(sip id) which i don't want it to capture. I want that it should include the server details required for manual configuration. Please suggest !!

27 REPLIES 27

wmateo
Contributor

why not just package the APP? unless you need to capture configuration settings outside of the Default, dont see the point.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

/url">@sumit.batra][/url I would suggest just running the installer you can download from MS volume licensing. Then you can use @talkingmoose][/url setup scripts and daemons located here [https://gist.github.com/talkingmoose Additional information here https://github.com/talkingmoose/LyncSetup

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

I just throw the .pkg up and then use a altered version of @talkingmoose setup scripts to deploy user information. I don't generally try to use Composer if the standard. .pgk can just be used.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Speaking of Lync... I see 14.0.8 or whatever it was supposed to be never got released in March. Still doesn't work right with 10.9.x...

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi guys,

We use the PKG, & a similar launcher to @talkingmoose's.

But, if all your worrying about is the server settings... You can use MCX or a plist as per; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj945442(v=office.14).aspx.aspx)

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi guys,

We use the PKG, & a similar launcher to @talkingmoose's.

But, if all your worrying about is the server settings... You can use MCX or a plist as per; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj945442(v=office.14).aspx.aspx)

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

New release timeframe for Lync 14.0.8 is this month, so we expect to see it soon. We'd better see it soon or our MS reps are never going to hear the end of it.

sumit_batra
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.. Since i am quite new to Casper & Mac world so i really do not know how to use scripts/plists.

I want to configure / set the server settings after installing the Lync package but not really sure how to achieve this. Do i package it along with Lync or we use some script to copy the plist to each Mac thru policy /configuration profile in casper. Any step by step doc /link would be really helpful.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@sumit.batra this should provide you with enough information to get started. https://github.com/talkingmoose/LyncSetup

sumit_batra
New Contributor

i have checked this link & only need the MicrosoftLyncRegistrationDB.plist from this. Can you please guide me how do i deploy this PLIST to multiple Macs from casper. Is there a way to include it into a working Lync package or set dependency so that as soon bas Lync package is installed this PLIST is copied to the machine ?

My only requirement is to configure manual server settings for Lync when i deploy Lync on Mac thru Casper.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

@sumit.batra I deploy it using Composer. You can just use the generic Lync installer from Microsoft and bundle the config DMG/PKG along with it.
external image link

lsmc08
Contributor

@talkingmoose thank you for sharing the LyncSetup script.

@jhbush1973 thank you for sharing your knowledge and your input on various posts on the subject.

@talkingmoose & @jhbush1973, I'm hoping you can help with the following:

On Lync 14.0.9 and trying to setup a policy, when using the script and the other plist files, everything seems to work fine, except that the e-mail address is not populating when opening Lync.

@jhbush1973, I created the DMG/PKG with the same permissions as you indicated on your 4/9/14 post.

The MS Lync log file is blank.

Also, @talkingmoose, how and where is the portion below incorporated

"The script file must be executable on each machine:

sudo chmod +x /Library/talkingmoose/Scripts/LyncSetup-1.2.sh"

Thank you both for input and reply.

If anybody else wants to contribute/share info, that would be appreciate it too.

talkingmoose

@lsmc08

You're welcome! :-D

First, if the log file found in the user's home folder at ~/Library/Logs/LyncSetup.log is empty then the script may not even be running. At very minimum it should be showing the version of the script when you open the file. You need to make the script "executable". This means you're adding a hidden flag to the text file to tell the operating system you want to treat it as a script rather than a plain text file.

If you're packaging with Composer just select the script and adjust the permissions in the lower right corner of Composer to enable the "X" items. "X" = "executable". See Jason's screen shot in his message.

Also, you can test just the email portion of the script by itself to make sure it's working:

1. Log in to a Mac bound to Active Directory using an Active Directory account.
  2. Open the Terminal application found in /Applications/Utilities.
  3. Run this command (copy and paste it into Terminal) replacing TALKINGMOOSE with your Active Directory NetBIOS domain name and replacing MMOOSE with the name of an Active Directory user: ``` dscl "/Active Directory/TALKINGMOOSE/All Domains/" -read /Users/MMOOSE EMailAddress | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "} {print $2}' ```

Do you receive the correct email address for the user this way?

lsmc08
Contributor

@talkingmoose

Thank you for your reply and input here.

Yes, you are right - the script is not even running, as it does not show the version of the script when I open the file.

As for the executable part, pardon my shortcomings here... I did the composer part as Jason's and still it does not work.

I even followed and created your whole LyncSetup.sh manually and outside of Casper/Composer... made sure the 3 items needed had full rights at all levels...and still the script seems not to be working/executing.

As for testing the e-mail output portion in Terminal, yes, when I replace the domain and the user profile name info accordingly, I do receive the correct e-mail address.

What am I doing wrong... what am I missing?

Thanks again for your help.

talkingmoose

@lsmc08

The launchd plist file in /Library/LaunchAgents calls the script whenever a user logs in.

• Verify it's in the correct folder.
  • Verify it has correct ownership and permissions to run (compare it to other launch agent permissions in the same folder).
  • Verify the path to the script inside the plist file is correct as well. Remember, paths to folders/files are case sensitive.

tuinte
Contributor III

Hola!

Very helpful script, @talkingmoose, thanks so much.

Question: In our organization, user's log into Lync with their email address in both the Email Address and User ID fields. Should modifying this line:

defaults write $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Lync UserIDMRU '( { LogonName = '$USERNAME'; UserID = '"$EMAILADDRESS"'; } )'

to this:

defaults write $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Lync UserIDMRU '( { LogonName = '$EMAILADDRESS'; UserID = '"$EMAILADDRESS"'; } )'

work?

I'm obviously a scripting novice…

Thanks for any help.

talkingmoose

@tuinte

Your change should work just fine from what I see here.

Technically, you're probably using a User Prinicipal Name (UPN), which looks like an email address. To simplify things, your Active Directory administrators have ensured they're the same, which is nice.

lsmc08
Contributor

@talkingmoose

Thank you for your reply.

I took a new computer and decided to work the whole process new from scratch.

I verified all the steps were correct as you indicated above... and holly cow, it worked this time.

I then went back to the old computer and verified the work/steps... and I couldn't believe it... when deploying, one of my permission was wrong. I swear I've triple checked that - wanted to hit myself in the head for that silly mistake!

Thanks again for your help and input. Thank you also for the overall assistance you provide to the community here!

lsmc08
Contributor

@tuinte

Hello, did that modification work successfully for you?

In our organization here, I think we will be using the same format.

Let me know if you got this portion to work.

Thank you.

tuinte
Contributor III

Hey, @lsmc08][/url. What I posted above didn't work, but changing it to this did:

defaults write $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Lync UserIDMRU '( { LogonName = '"$EMAILADDRESS"'; UserID = '"$EMAILADDRESS"'; } )'

EDIT: Also, 14.0.9 is out, so I'm using that installer.

lsmc08
Contributor

Hello @tuinte, thank you for sharing - that worked for me too.

Have a great weekend!

talkingmoose

@lsmc08 and @tuinte

Big smile here!

lsmc08
Contributor

@talkingmoose

Thank you - appreciate the good vibe!

lsmc08
Contributor

@tuinte

Thanks - I'm using that same version too.

NealIV
Contributor

Is there anyway to change the script to use automatic configuration instead of the manual configuration? I want this option just in case our internal or external servers change.

Thanks

achilver
New Contributor

Hi NealIV I realise that I am a tad late to the party here but have only just started with Casper and I am sure you have figured this one out by now. But just in case. I followed the above and got it working fine. However like you I wanted Lync to use Automatic configuration for the Connections Settings. I found that in the MicrosoftLyncRegistrationDB.plist if I changed the hkey_local_machinesoftwarepoliciesmicrosoftcommunicatorconfigurationmode <integer> to 0 this set the Connections Settings to Automatic configuration.
(takingmoose and everyone else for that matter this is a great post)

achilver
New Contributor

Just as an aside has anyone noticed a delay in the LaunchAgent running. Basically if anyone logs in for the first time and tries to use Lync straight away the script has not completed and I am presented with the usual splash screens. This corrupts the entries for the login window and only by deleting the com.microsoft.Lync.plist in the users Home/Library/Preferences folder and manually re-running the script can I get it to populate the login window fields with the users details? Not a massive problem as chances are no on will open Lync that quickly. Just wondered if anyone has seen this happen.