Mac Pro (Mid 2012) Models showing up as Mid 2010 Models?

evan_moon
New Contributor II

I've started deploying the Mid 2012 Mac Pros in our agency, and every one of them so far still show up as a Mac Pro (mid 2010) model, even though the serial number lookup on Apple's Site verifies a Mid 2012 model.

Is anyone else experiencing this? My first guess is a GSX issue...

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

evan_moon
New Contributor II

I think i may have figured out why they are displaying as Mid-2010 Models. It seems the Model Identifier is the same on the 2012 Mac Pro as the 2010 Model-Mac Pro 5,1.

Still, this presents an inventory issue since tracking them in the JSS is our means of knowing when users are upgrade-eligible...

View solution in original post

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

The best option is probably to sign up for GSX and pull in warranty information and go off of that. Alternately, don't just key off of model name, look at the processor or some other inventory item that will distinguish them as well (maybe via a smart group).

jafuller
Contributor

Really the purchase date is your best bet for using inventory records within your lifecycle replacement program. I've had this same trouble with the Mac Pros.

Then you can create a report to pull the records that meet your lifecycle timeframe.

8 REPLIES 8

evan_moon
New Contributor II

I think i may have figured out why they are displaying as Mid-2010 Models. It seems the Model Identifier is the same on the 2012 Mac Pro as the 2010 Model-Mac Pro 5,1.

Still, this presents an inventory issue since tracking them in the JSS is our means of knowing when users are upgrade-eligible...

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

The best option is probably to sign up for GSX and pull in warranty information and go off of that. Alternately, don't just key off of model name, look at the processor or some other inventory item that will distinguish them as well (maybe via a smart group).

jafuller
Contributor

Really the purchase date is your best bet for using inventory records within your lifecycle replacement program. I've had this same trouble with the Mac Pros.

Then you can create a report to pull the records that meet your lifecycle timeframe.

evan_moon
New Contributor II

Thanks for the responses. I've since begun using the PO Date pulled from GSX to distinguish.

benducklow
Contributor III

I know this is a very old post but I see room for improvement that JAMF could implement. I just put in a Feature Request for this flaw: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=2527

johnklimeck
Contributor II

Yes, this is actually quite troublesome, I thought something was up, since I knew Apple released machines in 2014, which we had purchased, 15" Retina MacBook Pro, Identifier: 11,3.

The JSS labels these as "Late 2013", not correct, they are actually "Mid 2014"

JAMF can you please fix, thank you

qsodji
Contributor

I recently ran into the same issue and i found some bits of code online.
The script takes the serial and checks it against apple support to return the correct model.
I have it together as an extension attribute.
https://github.com/killahquam/OSXScripts/tree/master/Mac%20Model

Hope this helps.

benducklow
Contributor III

@johnklimeck - as @qsodji stated, their is some code you can implement that will give you the correct info. There is also an official Feature Request to vote up if you haven't done so already - https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=2214. The code that @qsodji has compiled may have been originally referenced from there as well.