Mac Pro (trash can) and El Capitan / OS 10.11

johnklimeck
Contributor II

Anyone seeing issues with new Mac Pro's and OS 10.11.

Getting the "Yosemite Boot Hang" progress bar thing.

Does not happen with any install of of 10.10.5, either manually or using Casper Imaging.

This looks like the AMD video card issue / symptoms, where a new Mac Pro's AMD video cards are faulty and have to be replaced.

Our group has has had a few Mac Pros go in for repair for this issue, and other groups on campus have seen 20 plus Mac Pro's with this AMD issue and had to have the video cards replaced.

John

1 REPLY 1

lionelgruenberg
New Contributor III

@johnklimeck I experienced a somewhat similar boot hang up after installing El Capitan via the App Store on my MacBook Pro. My laptop was shutting down after the progress bar had passed the 75% mark. I removed all third party kernel extensions from /System/Library/Extensions/ and /Library/Extensions/ after reviewing this Apple Developer Forum post. My MacBook Pro is booting normally after reinstalling El Capitan via the Recovery Partition.

You may want to run the Apple Hardware Test on your Mac Pro to check for hardware problems.

Open Terminal and check your logs for kernel panics with the following command find /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports -name *.panic -ctime -1w if you're able to successfully boot to the recovery partition as discussed in this Apple Developer Forum post.

Best of luck!