MacBook Air (10.14 Mojave) does not Fully Enroll to Jamf Pro

GoingUndergroud
New Contributor III

Hi,

I'm having an issue with a specific User-initiated enrollment does not complete fully on a MacBook Air.
After enrollment the MacBook's serial number shows up in Jamf Pro console, but does not have any associated data/reports. For example, OS has null value, last Update has null value, etc.
Running "sudo jamf recon" or "sudo jamf policy" on the client returns:

The file /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist does not exist. Use the createConf verb to create it.

I have tried creating the com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist file successfully but then get further errors relating to security.

This Mac was previously successfully enrolled with Ventura, 13.5 installed.

The drive has been wiped (twice) and the record was deleted from Jamf Pro before re-enrollemnt.

The model is MacBook Air Intel, Retina running Mojave. 10.14 has been re-installed (twice), with same results both times.

Thanks for any guidance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

Is there a specific reason why you need to enroll a macOS 10.14 device?  That has not received any updates in years, and it is not officially supported by Jamf.

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-documentation-current/page/System_Requirements.html

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

Is there a specific reason why you need to enroll a macOS 10.14 device?  That has not received any updates in years, and it is not officially supported by Jamf.

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-documentation-current/page/System_Requirements.html

GoingUndergroud
New Contributor III

Thanks so much for the reply.

Compatibility with 10.14 is  is a valid comment/question which I had not considered. A number of other 10.14 Macs have been enrolled & managed here for several years without any issues/problems.

I have not needed to enroll one for a while, though, and I guess it's possible a recent update/change in Jamf Pro's enrollment process is causing this problem.

I have question in with support which may help clarify.

10.14 is required since we run a legacy ERP platform unsupported on newer macOS versions.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Considering macOS 10.14 is fully end of life by both Apple and JAMF, I suggest updating it to at least macOS 12 (I would say 11, but it has likely seen its last update). Then continue with troubleshooting, assuming you have any issues. 

ImAMacGuy
Valued Contributor II

I opened a ticket with Jamf on this too a while back, they said 10.14 is on limited support.  basically if it works great, but if not- upgrade your os.

GoingUndergroud
New Contributor III

10.14 is untested and no longer supported at jamf.

Despite 10.14 having been EOL'd by Apple in 2021, we still have many existing 10.14 macs that continue to work just fine with jamf. I somehow had not considered deprecation as a reason for the problem enrolling a new 10.14 computer.

But it is the reason.

However, we must continue to run 10.14 so support legacy ERP platform.

I'm going to look into some remote VNC options to allow users' desktop Macs & laptops to upgrade to modern macOS but remote to some dedicated 10.14 Mac Minis in racks running the ERP.