Macbook Pro with touch bar 2017 model - can't do asr to reimage the hard disk?

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone else ran into the same issue I did.

I was just given a Macbook Pro 15" with touch bar. It is a 2017 model (The hardware is registered as MacBookPro14,3 within Casper)

What I normally do is go to Macbook's recovery partition (Command R at startup), and then run asr -source /SourceDirectory -target /TargetDirectory to wipe out the entire internal SSD and replace it with our macOS image. I must have done asr a thousand times on Macbooks from 2013-2016.

But on this particular Macbook Pro 2017, it completely bricked it :(
- I tried just restarting, it gives me a stop sign
- I tried Command + R again, it gives me stop sign.
- I tried option, it can see the internal drive, I select it, it gives me stop sign.
- I tried option, then select an external drive that I know it work. It gives me stop sign.

I had no choice but to go to the Apple store, ask one of the genius to help me recovery it.
(I saw what he did, he went to options, then selected Apple Store's WiFi, then a recovery disk is found via network, and he reinstalled macOS from there)

So has this happened to anyone else with the latest Macbook Pro's?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

It all depends on the version of macOS you've got in your image. If it's older than 10.12.something, then you will definitely have that problem. I suggest building a new image from a freshly installed OS on that specific hardware.

There is also a matter of the EmbeddedOS that runs the TouchBar. You may want to read this thread for details - even if you aren't having that specific problem. It may enlighten you if you weren't aware.

EDIT: If you have a brand new 2017 model, then you will definitely have to build a new image based on the OS version that came installed on it. It is unlikely even the OS that came on the 2016 model would work on it since there are differences between the models. That's pretty standard with Apple.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

It all depends on the version of macOS you've got in your image. If it's older than 10.12.something, then you will definitely have that problem. I suggest building a new image from a freshly installed OS on that specific hardware.

There is also a matter of the EmbeddedOS that runs the TouchBar. You may want to read this thread for details - even if you aren't having that specific problem. It may enlighten you if you weren't aware.

EDIT: If you have a brand new 2017 model, then you will definitely have to build a new image based on the OS version that came installed on it. It is unlikely even the OS that came on the 2016 model would work on it since there are differences between the models. That's pretty standard with Apple.

mcarver
New Contributor III

Apple forked the build. We are waiting for 10.12.6 to come out so we can build a new OS.dmg.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I think internet recovery is command option r or something

How to use Internet Recovery

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

I did use a macOS 10.12.5 to ASR reimage the Macbook Pro 2017.
Like I said, I've done this same process many many times on other Macbooks.

I'll wait for 10.12.6 and see if I get better luck.

Edited: Talked to my boss, I'm getting a Macbook Pro 2017 just to gather the base image.
Silver lining :)

strider_knh
Contributor II

What they are saying is that if it is a newer model with updated hardware then the 10.12.5 installer may not have the drivers that you need. When they update the hardware they typically don't update the installer you can download until the next release.

It all depends on when the hardware was refreshed, timing is everything.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Apple won't acknowledge it, but you can "roll back" any Mac model to the "Original version" that shipped with the model

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204319

--
https://donmontalvo.com

antoinekinch
New Contributor III

Apple did indeed fork the build. My process for fixing this was:

1. Boot to Recovery partition (command + r).
  2. Wipe the drive.
  3. Reinstall Mac OS
  4. Connect to Wifi
  5. Download fresh Apple build.
  6. Reboot to recovery Partition.
  7. Launch Disk Utility
  8. Create Image from never been booted Macintosh HD.
  9. Save to USB-C flash drive
  10. On separate mac, use AutoCasperNBI to create restorable boot image and added Casper imaging.
  11. Loaded never been booted base image to Casper Admin.

Now I have a special 2017 MacBook Pro 10.12.5 base image and a 10.12.5 Bootable USB-C key, and a special 2017 MacBook Pro - 10.12.5 Netboot image.

Next up: FileVault2 on the new 2017 MBPro. This should be fun.