macOS Big Sur 11.0 - Updated Index of Need to Know Changes & Links!

ClassicII
Contributor III

macOS Big Sur 11.0 was just announced at WWDC20!

The transition from Intel to Apple Silicon (ARM) was also announced!

The first processor name was from the keynote "Apple AZ12 Bionic".

This article will keep you updated with the latest changes, links and security information!

https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-big-sur-10-16-updated-index-of-need-to-know-changes-links/

47 REPLIES 47

terrydooher
New Contributor II

@bwoods Good call on the deferral. Further testing has borne out what you describe. There's no granularity of control on what specifically is deferred, so it's only good for a short-term deferral. The --ignore route however is dead to us. As of Catalina, it's not possible to ignore major OS releases. (You can ignore just about everything else, but big sur will come through regardless)

This is where we're stuck. If the only option we have is to block the installer at runtime, it gives us no facility for hiding the installer or preventing anyone downloading it. (cue lots of users trying to run it and failing and pestering IT...). It'll do the job, but Apple seem to have closed the door on other ways of hiding it.

bwoods
Valued Contributor

@terrydooher I missed the part about the --ignore command being depreciated. Thanks for the heads up. I think that disabling software update will help with the Big Sur notification, but I won't know until this thing is out though. Will keep you all posted.

After software update is disabled you can run the following as the user to get rid of the red update badges: defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@bwoods @terrydooher I believe 10.15.6 brought back support for --ignore for MDM managed systems

bwoods
Valued Contributor

Looks like Apple got our message.

• They are going to allow us to manage screen recording for standard users.
  • The --ignore flag is gone but they're giving us more granular control on update deferrals. (ie minor, major, supplemental)

check out all of the new features here.

t_jones
New Contributor III

@beeboo How do you make a config profile with this info?

com.apple.systempreferences
plist value: {AttentionPrefBundleIDs=0}

dnorman
New Contributor III

Has anyone tried prestage with Jamf Connect and the LAPS key in the login PLIST? I tried it and it doesn't encrypt or change the prestage local account password to the encryption key. I was using Connect 2.0.1 and this was working on Catalina. I'm trying it out again with Connect 2.0.2.

josborne3
New Contributor

Has anyone added an ARM based mac to JAMF yet? Issues?

I have not been able to find any one specifically talking about experiences managing the ARM based platform and if there are any issues or incompatibilities with JAMF management.

snowfox
Contributor III

ARM devices only begin shipping today 17th so it's unlikely anyone has any to test with at this stage unless they had access to a test mac mini unit for dev work.