macOS Catalina installs failing organization wide

wathiq_abumaali
New Contributor II

Hi y'all,

I've done my digging through all the other Jamf nation articles and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. Ever since Catalina was released, we blocked it via Restricted software as well as 1 policy and 1 config profile (to hide the notification and to prevent users from trying to install manually) because we weren't ready for folks to upgrade. Now that we're ready, we removed everyone from the scope of the policy, config profile and the 2 restricted softwares. Now, people are trying to install and constantly get hit with the spinning beachball. I tried to put macOS Catalina in a policy and still no luck. I've attached a screenshot of the config profile, script that was used in policy, and 2 restricted softwares.
Please advise
6d1be8349a1745fcb0419c2cd4f62176
6b4e92afb1b64a44b6696e91954c2875
2cb859789dde49399d6bda601a8c03e6
e4c237afa06d4041a1f15dfd2786b0d7

4 REPLIES 4

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@themostsauce - How are your clients upgrading to Catalina? Through App Store or did you cache an installer on the devices which they are now running?
- When does it goes beachballing? Launching state or an other step in the Installer?

besides, the "Block Install MacOS Install Assistance" does not work because as far i know the process is "InstallAssistant" and not "InstallAssistance".

Did you make sure the scope has been set to none? if so, try a "sudo jamf manage" on a affected client to update the framework.

bcrockett
Contributor III
  1. Remove the scope from the policy that stops the install
  2. Download the installer from the app store. Drag and drop the .app install file from the applications directory into Composer and create a .pkg. Add this to the Jamf Admin. Then install that .pkg file holding the Catalina update on client computers. Basically caching it to the applications folder. It is a big file so flush errors frequently. 2.a Trigger this install with a smart group scope to devices that are not on Catalina. And run a daily update inventory on them so they get the file fast.
  3. Once it is cached. Create another policy to run the installer with the following command;
    /Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --nointeraction

Hope that helps.

r___
New Contributor III

@themostsauce Scope the policies to none and run the following on an affected device:

• sudo jamf policy

If the issue persists then then you know its not one of these policies and prolly something else

wathiq_abumaali
New Contributor II

Hi txhaflaire,

My clients are upgrading to Catalina through App Store with no success, even on a test machine that I removed Jamf from. The installer beachballs after you agree to terms and conditions and it begins to install (while still logged in). It beachballs for several minutes and you just force quit it to get it to stop.

As for the "Block Install MacOS Install Assistance" thank you for that clarification.

Did I make sure the scope has been set to none? Yup! Haven't done a "sudo jamf manage" on an affected client yet but I'll give that a shot. If that works, how would I go about pushing a "sudo jamf manage" command organization wide via a policy? Thank you to all who are contributing to this post, it means a lot.