macOS Organization-linked Activation Lock during ADE

BCPeteo
Contributor III

Reading Jamf documentation on this is kind of confusing .

During prestage enrollment for computers is activation lock automatically enabled? 

There is in option in the device prestage for a ios/ipad devices that allows you to turn this on, but for computers that option is not there but the jamf documentation seems to hint that its automatic for Macs?

Also to check the status of actitation lock on the mac documentation is confusing. It says the Activation Lock status is displayed in the device's inventory information with a value of "Enabled" or "Not enabled". The device's status will show as "Not enabled" if Activation Lock was configured for the device in Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager during enrollment.

I'm asking this because I'm noticing Macs in apple school manger are showing as activation locked off even though we enroll our Macs through a prestage,

Maybe I'm just confused and the Not enabled, activation locked off mean User activation lock is off and not Organization-linked (device) activation lock?

3 REPLIES 3

obi-k
Valued Contributor III

Maybe I'm confused now too. I thought the Inventory/Security/Activation Lock record showed if the user turned it on. Maybe it shows the status regardless of how it was enabled or disabled (via ABM or user initiated)?

More info from Apple: https://it-training.apple.com/tutorials/deployment/dm265/#

BCPeteo
Contributor III

Thanks I saw that documentation. 

Notice it says:

• Some MDM solutions allow you to automatically enable Activation Lock on a supervised iPhone, iPad, or Mac during enrollment. Consult your MDM solution’s documentation.

So I wonder does Jamf's computer prestage automatically do this? There is no option to enable activation lock in the computer prestage. There is however a check box in the device prestage settings.

BCPeteo
Contributor III

I emailed Jamf support and after some back and forth this is what they said:

"The current version of Jamf Pro (11.7.1) does not support enabling Activation Lock on macOS computers. Currently, Jamf Pro can prevent users from enabling Activation Lock, disable Activation Lock, and allow users to enable Activation Lock. Further Activation Lock functionality for macOS may be added to future releases of Jamf Pro."