macOS Stock Image with JSS Enrollment

tak10
Contributor II

We've been running stock macOS image created using macOS Server's build in System image tool.

Once we netInstall macOS image from macOS Server, we manually enroll to JSS using Recon and scripts and configuration profiles runs / installs automatically to configure macOS to our corporate configuration.

Seems like enrolling manually to JSS should be built into the imaging process.

Please give me ideas that many of you out there is using to image Macs for deployment. I just need a new Mac or existing Mac to be re-imaged and automatically enroll to JSS so that we can streamline the deployment.

FYI, we were late in the game with DEP for macOS so we still have more than 70% not being in DEP so I would like a setup that works without DEP.

4 REPLIES 4

dlevendo
New Contributor III

When I read your post, it sounds like what you are looking for is DEP and and PreStage Enrollments into your JSS. Especially for new devices. According to Apple's own KB article, "You can enroll any Apple Mac, iOS device, or Apple TV (4th Generation) that you purchased on or after March 1, 2011." here's the link to the full article.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204142
If you're unable to go that route, I would look at using JAMF Imaging as a solution as it can apply your base image along with other packages and scripts automagically.

tak10
Contributor II

Thanks for the Quick reply. Here is the workflow I'm trying to lay out that I can't figure out using Casper Imaging.

1. We have an employee leave the company. This computer has user data and may have older OS on it.
  2. I need to prepare this computer with the latest approved OS which is 10.12.6 and redeploy to a new employee.

My intention is to wipe the user data clean and lay fresh 10.12.6 stock image. Where do I define what which OS image to use in Casper Imaging? I've selected Erase target drive but it doesn't let me add the image file.

mickgrant
Contributor III

your images are built within Jamf Admin, once configured there, you need to make sure you compile them, and then save your jamf admin session.
after this the configuration should be selectable in the configurations dropdown of Jamf imaging

Look
Valued Contributor III

When you use NetInstall you can add additional packages and scripts etc...
However with 10.13.1 this is mostly broken and will fail on any package that contains scripting or if you try and have more than one package.
What you can do is create a files only PKG that contains the JSS QuickAdd and a LaunchDaemon that runs the QuickAdd, then if you restart the machine after it gets to the macOS Setup screen it will automatically enroll in the JSS (i.e. on first restart after installation of macOS).
I actually bundled this up with another LaunchDaemon that had JamfHelper and a script to display some status information while initial deployments were occurring.