Macs and Dual Monitors

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

A general question does anyone have a good solution for Macs with dual external monitors?
Are you all using docks or something else?
Models I support.
Macbook Air 2015
Macbook Pro 2016+
Macbook 2016

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com
6 REPLIES 6

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I did this for quite a while with various cable setups. What monitors are you using? when I used 2 Apple TB2 Displays, they daisy chain easily and could get down to 1 cable. As those went away, and newer hardware came into existence, we started using Elgato thunderbolt 3 docking stations. One port has a display out an another goes through thunderbolt 2.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

Just run of the mill monitors ViewSonic, ports HP Display port, HDMI, or DVI. I have tried a lot of the DisplayLink docks and with 10.13.4 they no longer work correctly and they are junk. I haven't tried the Elgato dock

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

amcclelland
New Contributor

We're using the Belkin Thunderbolt docks but still need to use an HDMI to USB-C cable on one of the monitors. Haven't been able to figure out the DisplayPort daisy-chaining that's supposedly possible on the Dell monitors we use...

Not applicable

We tested a few docking stations and standardized on the elgato thunderbolt 3 and the caldigit TB3 docking stations to host our dual monitor setup. Not sure if the thunderbolt 3 docks would be compatible for the MacBook however we use apples thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter to work on thunderbolt Mac hardware models. Hope that helps.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

I'll +1 for the caldigit docking station as well. If you pick on, one think that you may need to confirm if it can deliver enough power to also charge the laptop at the same time (which we ran into on a number of stations. In testing at the time, only 2 could deliver power.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Loving the OWC Thunderbolt 3 docks here. They do NOT support MST, but are great otherwise.