Major macOS upgrade deferral profile is not deferring macOS 14.1

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

Apple released macOS 14.1 today. On my Macs running Sonoma, this update is being deferred by our minor macOS update deferral profile. On Macs that have not yet been upgraded to Sonoma, macOS 14.1 is showing up in Software Update to install. Before today, Sonoma was being deferred. Why would 14.1 not be deferred? For a Mac running Ventura, any version of Sonoma should be considered to be a major macOS upgrade. Is there an adjustment that I need to make?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MatthewGC
New Contributor III

I also had a couple machines not follow the policy that I have had set for quite sometime and was working fine previously.

Support gave me the following.

1. In Jamf Pro, navigate to Computers > Configuration Profiles and click New.

2. Fill out the Display Name in the General payload. 

3. Select the Application & Custom Settings payload, click External Applications, and click the +Add button in the upper-right corner.

4. For Source, choose Custom Schema from the dropdown box. In the Preference Domain field paste use the domain: com.apple.applicationaccess

5. Click +Add schema, paste the text below in the Custom Schema box, and click Save. Copy all between the hashmarks but do not include them. ##

###################

{
 "title": "com.apple.applicationaccess",
 "description": "",
 "properties": {
        "enforcedSoftwareUpdateMajorOSDeferredInstallDelay": {
            "title": "Enforced Software Update Major OS Deferred Install Delay ",
            "property_order": 5,
            "anyOf": [
                {"type": "null", "title": "Not Configured"},
                {
                    "title": "Configured",
                    "type": "integer"
                }
            ]
        },
        "forceDelayedMajorSoftwareUpdates": {
            "title": "Force Delayed Major Software Updates ",
            "property_order": 10,
                {
                    "type": "boolean"
                }
            ]
        }
 }
}

########################

NOTE: If you are unable to save after pasting the above json tap the 'Tab' key.

6. Additional fields to be completed will populate: 

a. Enforced Software Update Major OS Deferred Install Delay: Use the dropdown to select Configured, and in the additional box that appears set the value (1-90) for the number of days to restrict the update.

b. Force Delayed Major Software Updates: Use the dropdown to select Configured, and set the additional box to True.

7. Click Scope and add a test computer or test computer group to ensure the update is blocked.

8. Click Save.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

To add to this... I may have gotten worried about this too fast. My test Mac still displays the macOS Sonoma 14.1 upgrade but other Macs that are still running Ventura do not see the upgrade. Now it's just a matter of figuring out why the major macOS upgrade deferral profile is not working as it should on this Mac. There may be others I don't know about yet. Some of my users have told me that they're not seeing the upgrade.

SCCM
Contributor III

you sure you have the deferral applied to your machine and its not in a exclusion?
Also is it showing in the standard software update window? When Ventura came out last year there was a banner in software updates which appeared on machine to download the full installer, rather than going via the software update method (as well as some versions of MacOS not seeing the major version as a major version).

It might be worth noting which minor version of OS these devices are running, and what kind of hardware it is, just incase anyone else has already opened a apple ticket and got confirmation

MatthewGC
New Contributor III

I also had a couple machines not follow the policy that I have had set for quite sometime and was working fine previously.

Support gave me the following.

1. In Jamf Pro, navigate to Computers > Configuration Profiles and click New.

2. Fill out the Display Name in the General payload. 

3. Select the Application & Custom Settings payload, click External Applications, and click the +Add button in the upper-right corner.

4. For Source, choose Custom Schema from the dropdown box. In the Preference Domain field paste use the domain: com.apple.applicationaccess

5. Click +Add schema, paste the text below in the Custom Schema box, and click Save. Copy all between the hashmarks but do not include them. ##

###################

{
 "title": "com.apple.applicationaccess",
 "properties": {
        "enforcedSoftwareUpdateMajorOSDeferredInstallDelay": {
            "title": "Enforced Software Update Major OS Deferred Install Delay ",
            "property_order": 5,
                {
                    "type": "integer"
                }
            ]
        },
        "forceDelayedMajorSoftwareUpdates": {
            "title": "Force Delayed Major Software Updates ",
            "property_order": 10,
                {
                    "type": "boolean"
                }
            ]
        }
 }
}

########################

NOTE: If you are unable to save after pasting the above json tap the 'Tab' key.

6. Additional fields to be completed will populate: 

a. Enforced Software Update Major OS Deferred Install Delay: Use the dropdown to select Configured, and in the additional box that appears set the value (1-90) for the number of days to restrict the update.

b. Force Delayed Major Software Updates: Use the dropdown to select Configured, and set the additional box to True.

7. Click Scope and add a test computer or test computer group to ensure the update is blocked.

8. Click Save.

howie_isaacks
Valued Contributor II

I got this from Jamf Support as well. As I mentioned above my issue was less of a problem than I thought it was. AppleCare Enterprise told me that as long as Jamf Pro is using the "mcx_preference_settings" wrapper our deferral profiles may be glitchy on some computers.