Make standard user admin for set time

Dgallimore
New Contributor II

Hello, currently rolling out JAMF to some Devs.

I'm seeing a need to allow users admin rights for a certain time. I've had a look around and not seen some solid information on this.

I did find this github - https://github.com/jamf/MakeMeAnAdmin

It seems perfect for what I would like giving users admin right for a certain time. But I've had some trouble with that where it doesn't seem to have made the logged in standard user an admin.

The device I'm testing it on is upto big sur.

Would anyone be able to maybe point me in the right direction on this?

5 REPLIES 5

user-vMArwXaKZp
New Contributor II

What happens if you log off and back in , it might have issue applying settings . Similar to when you change admin rights with gui and it tells you to restart system.

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

I had a couple of issues with the script, but found it was about timing. If the User gets the authentication box asking for admin and then goes to the script, it didn't work. But if they quit out of it all and then run the script, and then go to wherever the popup was it does work, and it will pre populate the popup with their Username. But not got to testing this yet on Big Sur, that is on my list of things to do.

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

@Dgallimore I have used MakeMeAnAdmin and have seen it not show the user as admin after running, however it did act as if it had admin right.

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

Tested it with a standard user on Big Sur 11.4 and it worked no problems. Elevated to Admin for a short duration and then reset the account back.

Dgallimore
New Contributor II

Thank you for all the responses!

I'll run some more testing, but the first time I tried the script ran as expected with confirmation on jamf side but the user was unable to actually do anything admin wise. I then saw after a while that it just started working(filling in the full name), as some have said it might be a timing issue / if the prompt is open.