MakeMusic Finale 25.5 Demployment

CSCC-JS
Contributor III

Wanted to share this, finally able to deploy Finale 25.5.0.259 via jamf.
This does not handle the licensing part however.

This is still a bit rough around the edges, bit functional for me.

Two packages & one script

Package One

Package that copies these files to the target computer, I used tmp

• MacDiskInstaller25.5.0259.dmg
  • silentInstallerChoices.plist

silenInstallerChoices.plist was downloaded from https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007423647-Commands-to-silently-install-Finale-una...

Package Two

Install Finale 25.5 on a machine, you don't have to launch or license it,

Capture / Make a package of " userssharedGIFF_SAMPLE"

Install script

Modified from https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007423647-Commands-to-silently-install-Finale-una...

#!/bin/bash

hdiutil attach "/tmp/MacDiskInstaller_25.5.0.259.dmg"

sleep 30

sudo installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/Install Finale.pkg -target / -applyChoiceChangesXML "/tmp/silentInstallerChoices.plist" ;

sudo installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/External/Garritan_ARIA_Player.pkg -target / ; 

sudo installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/External/Garritan_Instruments_for_Finale.pkg -target hdiutil detach /Volumes/Finale

exit 0

Policy

1. Deploy package one.
  2. Deploy the package that copies the GIFF_Samples
  3. Run Install Script

Sources

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/25064/finale-25-crashing-on-install-with-casper

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/12597/packaging-and-deploying-finale-2014

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007423647-Commands-to-silently-install-Finale-una...

21 REPLIES 21

palmna
Contributor

@CSCC-JS , Are you still using this exact method? I've reproduced what is written here and it does not work. Well, it installs Finale but doesn't recognize the sound files in the /Users/Shared/GIFF_Samples folder.

janthenat
New Contributor III

In case anyone is interested, I'm using a similar method for Finale v26.

One Package
- FinaleSetup.dmg
- silentInstallerChoices.plist

One Script (below)
- Install Finale silently based on @CSCC-JS's script above
- Optional: If using Finale Site License Monitor then create the required file

Policy
- Install the package
- Run the script

This seems to work for us and will run from Mac Self Service using any type of user account. What I have not yet tried is getting this to work without a user logged in to run it, i.e. fully silent such as after "re-imaging".

UPDATE: With a test machine logged out, and connected via ssh as a local admin user, I ran this policy by ID # on the command line and it worked OK. YAY!

#!/bin/bash

# Install Finale according to MakeMusic silent install instructions #
hdiutil attach "/private/tmp/FinaleSetup.dmg"
sleep 30
installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/Install\ Finale.pkg -target / -applyChoiceChangesXML "/private/tmp/silentInstallerChoices.plist" ;
installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/External/Garritan_ARIA_Player.pkg -target / ; 
installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/External/Garritan_Instruments_for_Finale.pkg -target /
hdiutil detach /Volumes/Finale

# Create required file for authorization via Finale Site License Monitor license server #
FILE=/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 26/Data/fin_slm.txt
if [ ! -f "$FILE" ]; then
cat >> /Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 26/Data/fin_slm.txt <<EOL
[Server]
IPAddress = <server_IP>
TCPPort = 8100
EOL
fi

exit 0

@janthenat ,

I'm really glad you posted this.  I started working on deploying v27 this week and was scrambling to remember how I deployed v26.  Your post was an excellent refresher. 

Thank you for posting this,

Unfortunately using this script for Finale 27, does not install the actual finale app, and it creates a blank Appliction entity in the /Libray folder.

Installing from the FinaleSetup.dmg manually installs all things correctly.

Also, the above script did not create the fin_slm.txt file for me.

Has anyone had success using this script for Finale 27?

Thank you again for the posting. though!

@skinford,

I'm currently using this script to deploy Finale 27 successfully in my environment. The only difference is that I don't have a license server so my script excludes the last section.  See below:

#!/bin/bash

hdiutil attach "/private/tmp/Finale/FinaleSetup.dmg"

sleep 30

installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/Install\ Finale.pkg -target / -applyChoiceChangesXML "/private/tmp//Finale/silentInstallerChoices.plist"

installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/External/Garritan_ARIA_Player.pkg -target /

installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/External/Garritan_Instruments_for_Finale.pkg -target /

exit 0

Thank you palmna, just realized what was wrong with janthenat script for finale no "\" between, Install Finale.  Will try again!

Thank you!

janthenat
New Contributor III

Good catch!  Fixed it in my post.

Still having an issue creating the license file, any clues?  Thank you!

janthenat
New Contributor III

So you're using the script, and including the license file section?

# Create required file for authorization via Finale Site License Monitor license server #
FILE=/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 26/Data/fin_slm.txt
if [ ! -f "$FILE" ]; then
cat >> /Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 26/Data/fin_slm.txt <<EOL
[Server]
IPAddress = <server_IP>
TCPPort = 8100
EOL
fi

The file is just not being created?  Are you getting errors?  On the test machine can you create the file using that portion of the script saved locally, or just manually via command?

It finally worked when I encased both, of the file lines in quotations and of course changing, Finale 26 to whatever version you may be running.  In my case, Finale 27.

"/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 27/Data/fin_slm.txt"

Thank you both @janthenat and @palmna for all of your assistance today.  I am very grateful to both of you!  🙂

Do you put your DMG in a Finale folder in /private/tmp?

Also, you added an extra / in -applyChoiceChangesXML "private/tmp//Finale....

Still trying to get mine to work using either script, half the fun of IT!

Finally got the Finale fully installed working on the License script now.

janthenat
New Contributor III

Our pkg is dropping the DMG directly to /private/tmp/FinaleSetup.dmg where we attach (mount) it in the script...

hdiutil attach "/private/tmp/FinaleSetup.dmg"

As for the extra slash, it is not in my script but appears to have showed up in @palmna 's reply to you just a little while ago.  Not sure how that happened, but it is definitely extra.

Oneota
New Contributor

I did essentially this for deploying Finale 26, but the Garritan instrument installer popped up a window when it copied/decompressed the instruments.  Is there a known way to make that portion of the install truly silent?

janthenat
New Contributor III

Just curious, did you see the Garritan window during install while a user was logged in or while sitting at a login/lock screen?

While a user was logged in.  I contacted MakeMusic and was told there's no way to make the Garritan install process silent.  Pity.

skinford
Contributor III

@janthenat and @palmna, I also have to install the Garritan Jazz and Big Band package.  Has either of you ever needed to install that silently like Finale?  Or know how to?

Thank you both for your assistance today!

@skinford, I have not had to deal with any extra Garritan packages but I would imagine you can include it in your initial package and install it using a command similar to the Garritan_Instruments_for_Finale.pkg.

teodle
Contributor II

why the need for the separate package for GIFF_Samples. When the script calls the installers, don't those installers create the GIFF_Samples folder in /Users/shared anyway? 

cyborghere
New Contributor II

I made minor edits for installing Finale v27. This has worked for me. 

Finale v27 Mass Installation

What’s Needed

• The Finale installation DMG
  • silentinstallerchoices.plist (from here)
  • The Finale Install Script (as utilized earlier)
#!/bin/bash

hdiutil attach "/private/tmp/Finale/FinaleSetupv27.dmg"

sleep 30

installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/Install\ Finale.pkg -target / -applyChoiceChangesXML "/private/tmp/Finale/silentInstallerChoices.plist"

installer -verbose -pkg /Volumes/Finale/External/Garritan_ARIA_Player.pkg -target /

exit 0

Instructions

1. Download the Finale installation DMG and the silentinstallerchoices.plist to a folder called “Finale”. I recommend renaming the Finale Installation DMG to “FinaleSetupv27” or something along those lines.
  2. If not already there, move the “Finale” folder and its contents to “/private/tmp”.
  3. Using Composer, create a PKG from the “/private/tmp” iteration of the “Finale” folder.
  4. Upload the PKG to JAMF.
  5. Upload the Finale Install Script to JAMF.
  6. Create a policy that refers to PKG and the Finale Install Script.

This is truly amazing work.  Thank you.  This is going to make it so much easier to deploy over the summer.