Manage Apple ID - discussion

Captainamerica
Contributor II

This is a more Apple discussion then Jamf - but guess there should be some admins with knowledge

It is regard to Managed Apple ID - where we as company has 2 scenarios

1.Company owned devices, where users have created an user@company.com
They use it for work as they don´t want to use their own private apple id on a company device. Data storage is according to company rules only onedrive 
2 BYOD devices, where users typically use their own private email address as apple id

Overall as I understand the primary benefit of managed apple id, is on BYOD, where you can enroll it with a managed apple id - and still use the private apple id on the device for all private.

But what benefits is there on a company owned device to use managed apple id ? - I know some talk about data should not be stored on a privat create company account - but if they instead create a apple id on any created outlook/gmail account the data is still out of company reach.

I miss some golden points why managed Apple ID could benefit the user - and actually also if managed apple id has some points to be used when device is company owned ?

4 REPLIES 4

Lasse
New Contributor III

It benefits companies with Apple ID password resets, with managed Apple IDs the IT in the company can do this, or even have an option in Self Service(for enrolled devices) for this.

Federation makes sure the company owns the domain name for Apple IDs, and the company name is not abused i.e after an employee leaves the company.

Easier access to giving out app licenses, and pulling those back to reuse licenses after someone leaves. This can be a cost saver for those who just reimburse teachers for apps purchased on a private Apple ID instead of buying licenses in Apple School Manager/Apple Business Manager and retaining them when someone leaves the school/company.

Lasse
New Contributor III

Macpaw also did an article about it: https://macpaw.com/how-to/what-are-managed-apple-ids

Captainamerica
Contributor II

How can a user "abuse" a Apple ID with company email ? 

Lasse
New Contributor III

Invitation to share information or files, accept information from and so on? Is it fringe? Yes. Has it happened? Yes.