Manage Engine Desktop Central

ray_henry
New Contributor II

Anyone out there have any luck pushing Desktop Central agent via Jamf? I get the error below trying to push the client I download from Desktop Central.
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is ManageEngine DesktopCentral Agent
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An error occurred while running scripts from the package “DesktopCentral_MacAgent.pkg”.)

3 REPLIES 3

rnoureddine
New Contributor III

@ray.henry , I also use Manage Engine's DC and always run into issues using the agent. The only way to fix this issue is by re-packaging the agent on your own, here is what I normally do to package it via Composer:

1- Download the agent from the DC site
2- Open Composer and drag your package from step 1 into it
3- Create a folder structure as you see in the screenshot above
4- Package it 5- Copy the package to to your DP and create your policy

If this is a machine with an existing agent on it, you might want to configure Files and Processes in your policy so that the Agent restarts after the upgrade

44ff96d003e8495c9b84c17110a38863
And this is how the package looks like in Composer
d9499f3bda6342e9a37994702f57f8b3

Hope this helps

ray_henry
New Contributor II

Thank you so much! Worked like a charm

ezhikrocket
New Contributor

Hi, everyone!

I've got instruction from MEDC support how to install MEDC agent via Jamf Pro. Tested and it works. Hope it will be helpful.

Steps:

Using Jamf:

Download Mac agent zip form the server console. It has serverinfo.plist and agent pkg files.
We'll first deploy the below to a test machine.

1. Rename serverinfo.plist to com.manageengine.ems.plist

2. The deployment through Jamf (or any other vendors) should have two steps:

Note: plist and .pkg file names should be exact as mentioned above for the steps to work.

Step 1: Deploy the above plist alone (without changing name (i.e., named com.manageengine.ems.plist ) to /Library/Managed Preferences/ as a separate policy/configuration. For example: "Application & Custom Settings" configuration profile in Jamf.

ezhikrocket_0-1655882023095.png

ezhikrocket_1-1655882023129.png

Step 2: Ensure that the above configuration is deployed to your test machine successfully. You can also check if /Library/Managed Preferences/ folder has com.manageengine.ems.plist file.

Step 3.  Deploy the Mac agent pkg (without changing name) as a second policy/configuration. The deployed Mac agent will check the /Library/Managed Preferences directory for com.manageengine.ems.plist to install correctly.

ezhikrocket_2-1655882023141.png

ezhikrocket_3-1655882023148.png

Once this config works on a test machine, we can deploy to all machines in the same order. First, plist config to all machines and then pkg config.