Managed App Assignment without Apple ID?

trandolph
New Contributor II

What I am looking for is the ability to assign a VPP Managed App to a device without signing in with an Apple ID. From what I've read, it should be possible with iOS9. Our JSS is updated to the latest version. Because the device is managed, it keeps asking for an Apple ID to allow JAMFcloud to install apps. Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

trandolph
New Contributor II

Here is how I was able to get it assigned to a device without any user settings and App Store Hidden. This only works with iOS 9 devices.

Verify the apps are showing up for the VPP account that purchased the managed app.
**Management Settings -- Global Management -- VPP Accounts -- Select Account -- Select Content verify the App is listed. Check the box to Populate Purchased VPP Content and then they will show up in the apps listing for the next step.

Setup the app for deployment
** Mobile Devices -- Apps -- Select the App for distribution -- Select VPP - Check Assign VPP Content and select the VPP Account. -- Click on Scope and add the targeted Mobile devices. and Save your configuration

Once it refreshes with the system, the app should install automatically.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sara_fenn
New Contributor

Same problem for me. Would love to know the solution.

bensim123
New Contributor

Here is the workflow we're using (Assuming that you've already added your VPP account (uploaded your VPP token, etc.), and verified that your licenses are reporting):

Verify that the devices you are scoping to, are enrolled in DEP.

Go to Users --> VPP Assignments
Enter a name for the assignment, and select the VPP account
In the Apps portion of your assignment, select one, or more, apps
Do not set a scope (I've found if I set a scope for users, I get the notification to sign in with an Apple ID)
Save the Assignment
Next to the App name click either "Add to App Catalog" (If it has not already been added), or "View in App Catalog" (if it has)

In the App record, uncheck "Free", and chose your distribution method (Available in Self Service, or Install Automatically)
Click VPP
Check the box for "Assign VPP Content"
Click Scope --> Targets
If you have enough licenses, you can select "All Mobile Devices", if not, you will need to scope the app.
You can scope based on the specific device, Mobile Device Group, User, etc.
Click Done
Click Save

If you opted to auto install the app, it should start pushing out to your devices, otherwise it will be available in Self Service, and will not request an Apple ID.

trandolph
New Contributor II

Here is how I was able to get it assigned to a device without any user settings and App Store Hidden. This only works with iOS 9 devices.

Verify the apps are showing up for the VPP account that purchased the managed app.
**Management Settings -- Global Management -- VPP Accounts -- Select Account -- Select Content verify the App is listed. Check the box to Populate Purchased VPP Content and then they will show up in the apps listing for the next step.

Setup the app for deployment
** Mobile Devices -- Apps -- Select the App for distribution -- Select VPP - Check Assign VPP Content and select the VPP Account. -- Click on Scope and add the targeted Mobile devices. and Save your configuration

Once it refreshes with the system, the app should install automatically.

zinkotheclown
Contributor II

Does anyone notice how long it takes for the app to be installed? It seems to take forever (like more than five minutes) and once it does, you need to allow the jss to install the app.

Malcolm
Contributor II

i didn't have any issues with VPP to the device. The only thing I observed is if you go over your app licences, they user will be prompted to sign into their apple ID... which is not very desirable, cause if they have credit card settings set, they user could end up being forced to purchase the app.

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Just thought I'd let everyone know that last week I was successful in enrolling a few hundred devices via DEP using Apple Configurator 2 and deploying apps to devices via JSS using VPP Managed Distribution. I summarized and posted my workflow here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=17323.

Hope this helps!
~Joe