Managed Apple ID's in Apple School Manager

GiftedSatsuma
New Contributor

Hi

I've recently created 2 managed Apple ID's in Apple School Manager.

After creating them I've then tried to logon on iCloud on our managed iPads.

It goes through the part where you have to provide a mobile number for verification and reset the password.

After that though I just get the message 'Verification Failed' 'Could not communicate with server'

I'm a bit puzzled as I created an account a few weeks ago and it worked fine.

Also I've read that FaceTime and iMessage are disabled by default on managed Apple ID's but can't find anywhere to allow them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

11 REPLIES 11

RLR
Valued Contributor

I believe Manager Accounts have to be setup on a computer (not a tablet/phone). Instructor and Student accounts are fine to use iPads.

As for iMessage and Facetime, this can be turned on in the Apple School Manager portal. Click the down arrow next to your school name at the top left, then click the "i" next to your school name. Go to the settings tab and scroll to the bottom. There you will see Facetime and Messages setting which can be changed.

GiftedSatsuma
New Contributor

Thank you I've now enabled Facetime and iMessage.

The 2 accounts that I created were instructor and student accounts.

I created a couple of instructor accounts last month and they worked fine which is strange.

ktrojano
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We are having the same issue. It was working fine until last Friday. I called Apple Enterprise Support today, and after an hour of troubleshooting I was told they've heard from other school districts reporting the same issue. I have an open case with them now and should be notified when the issue is resolved. I recommend opening a case with Apple. The more users reporting the problem the better.

Kimberly Trojanowski

GiftedSatsuma
New Contributor

Good to know that it's not something we're doing wrong. Hopefully it's fixed soon as we want to roll iPads out this week :/

MelissaGray
New Contributor

We are having the same issue. We're entering a case with Enterprise support also.

bburdeaux
Contributor II

I have a case open for the same issue as well.

GiftedSatsuma
New Contributor

Has anybody had any luck with this yet?

ktrojano

No, below is a response I got on Thursday:

"Apple Engineering has become aware of the behavior you reported in which newly created Managed Apple IDs cannot complete initial iCloud sign-in on an iOS device with the message "Verification Failed: Could not communicate with the server.”

There have been other reports of this behavior and Apple Engineering is currently tracking and investigating these reports. I am adding your case as impact to this report.

As a work-around until this behavior is resolved, you can try setting the initial password for a Managed Apple ID using a Mac instead of an iOS device. Just login to iCloud using the Managed Apple ID and temporary password on a Mac. When prompted to set the permanent password, go ahead and set the password. Once the Managed Apple ID is logged into iCloud on the Mac, sign-out of iCloud from the Mac and then try signing in to iCloud with the same Managed Apple ID and the new permanent password from an iOS device and let me know if this works."

The work-around didn't work. When I tried logging into iCloud.com with a temporary password I got a message that said "You must finish setting up this Apple ID before using it with iCloud.com. To complete the setup, sign in to your account on a managed device." I haven't heard anything from Apple since then. The problem is also occurring with Managed Apple IDs that have been setup and working but need a password reset due to a student forgetting their password.

Kimberly Trojanowski

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@Ktrojano did you try using the credentials in the System Preferences -> iCloud to see if it would work from there? My reading of the work around is to use the iCloud System Preference pane and not the www.icloud.com website. But I could be misinterpreting the work around steps.

ktrojano

I was misinterpreting the work around steps! I tried it under System Preferences -> iCloud and it worked. Thanks! The only issue for us with this work around is that we don't have Macs in every school that are accessible to students.

Kimberly Trojanowski

GiftedSatsuma
New Contributor

The Mac workaround worked for me. Not ideal but at least it's something.

Many thanks @Ktrojano