Managed restart of macOS for devices not used often

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

I have carts of MacBooks which are not used often and thus not restarted often.

I'm looking for a solution where the computers can be gracefully restarted on a schedule (example 1x a week).

I have found this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UoE-macOS/jss/master/coreconfig-restart-reminder which is working and I have it scheduled at both login and recurring Check-in. It would be nice to have another option that say delay restart for x minutes and after that the computer does restart. This way if a user opens up the lid they are presented with a message that this will happen. These carts use one or two generic/shared accounts only.

Does anyone have suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3

nelsoni
Contributor III

Couldn't you create an EA that tracks total uptime and once it hits 1 week have a policy trigger based on a smart group to restart?

mgraham
New Contributor

MacOS 14.x and 15.x have a function under System Preferences --> Energy Saving to "Start up or wake", and Sleep/Restart/Shutdown based on preset times and (optionally) days of the week. This may be adjustable by JAMF policy. Also, if the laptops could be kept connected to Ethernet they could be woken on LAN but then you would need a routine to shut them back off anyway.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

The laptops are locked up in carts for days at a time.