Management options Missing

ICT-PCC
New Contributor

Hi all, I am currently having a strange issue here with trying to manage Yosemite imaged machines.
all current systems are on either OS X 10.8.x or 10.9.x and are managed via our JSS without issue.
The issue starts when I try to add a Yosemite machine.
Machines are present in JSS there are just have no MDM Capability as the Management Commands menu is

System Details:
All previous policies are in place New quickADD package created, JSS ( 9.61) Caper suite (9.6)

Can anyone think what may be causing the management commands to drop off?

9 REPLIES 9

ICT-PCC
New Contributor

No Thoughts?

justinrummel
Contributor III

Please reply with your results on the following Terminal items:

sudo jamf version
sudo jamf recon
sudo jamf manage -verbose -displayJSSTraffic

ICT-PCC
New Contributor

Justin, here are the results,

version=9.61
staff-nb-deploy:~ schmic$ sudo jamf version
version=9.61

staff-nb-deploy:~ schmic$ sudo jamf recon
Retrieving inventory preferences from https://mdm.xxxxxx.wa.edu.au:8443/...
Finding extension attributes...
Locating accounts...
Locating package receipts...
Locating applications...
Searching path: /Applications
Locating printers...
Locating hard drive information...
Locating hardware information (Mac OS X 10.10.0)...
Gathering application usage information...
Submitting data to https://mdm.xxxxxx:8443/...
<computer_id>377</computer_id>

staff-nb-deploy:~ schmic$ sudo jamf manage -verbose -displayJSSTraffic
Getting management framework from the JSS... Uploaded: 1 KB Downloaded: 2.6 KB Total Traffic: 3.6 KB
Enforcing management framework... verbose: Timeout: 60
Checking availability of https://mdm.xxxxxx.wa.edu.au:8443/... Uploaded: 969 bytes Downloaded: 1006 bytes Total Traffic: 1.9 KB
The JSS is available.
Enforcing login/logout hooks... verbose: Creating login hook... verbose: Enabling login hook... verbose: Creating logout hook... verbose: Enabling logout hook... verbose: Writing preferences for Login window... verbose: Creating startup item script... verbose: Created startup item script verbose: Creating launchd item for startup item... Uploaded: 962 bytes Downloaded: 8.2 KB Total Traffic: 9.2 KB Uploaded: 1 KB Downloaded: 894 bytes Total Traffic: 1.9 KB verbose: Attempting to install the mdm profile at the computer level.
The computer was successfully enrolled in MDM with the JSS.
Enforcing scheduled tasks... verbose: Removing existing launchd task /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.task.1.plist... verbose: Creating task Every 15 Minutes...

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

ICT-PCC
New Contributor

Thanks calumhunter, but I dont think that is the issue, could be wrong.
as thouse attributes are fine in JSS:

JSS Certificate Validation:Success
Verify Certificate Based Communication:Enabled
Verify MDM Enrollment:Enrolled

But under the General menu I have this:
MDM Capability:No

ICT-PCC
New Contributor

HI all,
At this point it looks like it may be a curupt quick add package causing issues.
i'll do some more testing and report back.

Cheers

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I've seen the "MDM Capability: No" symptom a few times, often when I'm setting up a new JSS. It's normally been a JSS config issue. As it is working ok for the other client Macs in your case I would feel comfortable saying the JSS config is working.

It's always possible that the network state of the Mac at the point of enrollment isn't quite right, stopping certain features from working.

That being said, I've had a few situations where recon has spat out a problematic QuickAdd package.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

sudo jamf removeMdmProfile
sudo jamf enroll -prompt

Does that fix the MDM Capability: No issue? Assuming it's working fine on other Macs. Does the Mac have a serial number available in About This Mac? Date/Time accurate?

ICT-PCC
New Contributor

Robert, No it did not fix the issue.
Time/Date were correct and there was a serial number displayed.
Turns out it was a combination of things.

1. There was a certificate issue with the quickadd package
  2. Also an issue with the netboot server defaulting to a non-Yosemite netboot image through Deploy studio

Once these issues were sorted out, everythings seems to be working again.