Managing updates

casareanderson
New Contributor III

Hi i was wondering if any one has found a way to manage updates for a array of different application , as we are struggling to force updates to users machine as they are not admin and require a technician to manually type there password.

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

What are you currently doing today to manage these, if anything? The standard JAMF process for the moment, is to use something like Smart Groups and individual packages (updates) in different policies that would deploy the updates down to those machines.
But I can recommend that you at least look at products like AutoPkg and the companion AutoPkgr for these, since I'm willing to bet that almost all of them can be managed by these tools.

Also, sometime in the near future, an update to Casper will have some patch management capability built in, but I'm not clear exactly what products you need to keep up to date, so not certain if they will be on the supported list or not.

Outside of these options, there are other avenues, like scripts that can do on the fly version comparison between installed products and their latest versions from the vendor and download/install them on the spot (when needed). That process is not for everyone, since there is no vetting of the updates. Its good for environs where the need is to always have the latest version of apps/plug-ins installed, no matter what, but I don't know if thats the situation you're in.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Tagging for future notice.

jacopo_pulici
Contributor

I manage the updates scoping the target Macs with policies.
I built two kind of updates:
- silent. I just scope the Macs and install on them the needed pkg. For example Flash Player, Shockwave and all those apps that don't require any user interaction or specific closed app state.
- interactive, using Patchoo.
So far so good, quite happy with this mixed solution. As @mm2270 mentioned, take a look at AutoPkg and AutoPkgr. I use both to download and test the packages before the deployment.

casareanderson
New Contributor III

i am trying to update applications such as Evanote , adobe creative cloud , and looking to manage a way to push OS updates and upgrades

sean
Valued Contributor

+1 autopkg

For Adobe CC, you may wish to consider an internal Adobe Update Server

OS updates aren't handled by autopkg. There are other tools though, e.g. reposado/margarita, which you could consider.

thoule
Valued Contributor II

http://tmhoule.blogspot.com/2016/05/announcing-app-update-tool.html