Maverick’s new SMB2 stack isn’t compatible to many current NAS systems

lsmc08
Contributor

Hi all,

Just sharing this link, as it has helped us with an SMB2 issue we have been having.

We're on an Isilon NAS system.

Mavericks clients.

Issue: After connecting to the server, and opening new Finder windows to access that same share, the share re-mounts 2-5 times and ultimately users will get a "the folder can't be opened because you don't have permissions to see its contents" error. At this point, only a reboot seems to fix it...then until users would go through the same process and the issue re-occur.

We applied this to some users:

https://techblog.lankes.org/2013/10/24/mavericks-new-smb2-stack-isnt-compatible-to-many-current-nas-systems/

And so far all seems fixed and no other things appear not to be affected.

if anyone has tried something different from what's on the link, please share.

3 REPLIES 3

corbinmharris
Contributor

The question now, has this issue been resolved with Yosemite which supports SMB3.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor
The question now, has this issue been resolved with Yosemite which supports SMB3

Deja Vu, that's the same thing an Apple SE asked me 6 months ago when we were complaining about the shitty SMB2 performance. Grrrrrr.

kstrick
Contributor III

I can confirm that NetApps don't seem to be friendly with 10.10's SMB3......

The NetApps are quite a bit slower on Mac's (multiple OS's) due to the lack of support for large MTU's, and apparently they like to use some pipelining technique that doesn't agree with Mac's.
NetApp's suggestion was using NFS.

and for our 10.10 specific issues, NetApp recommended turning off SMB3 on the NetApp appliances, and setting them to use SMB2...

They claim to have fixes for these issues next year.

I'm not sure that NetApp's have ever really gotten along well with the Mac OS X and SMB.