Mavericks and hidden admin account

macboy
Contributor

I have hidden the admin account on all my machines (10.8). This causes a bit of an issue when upgrading to Mavericks using the VPP program as we are required to do through the University. A user now runs the update from the AppStore but in the startup process is presented with the screen to create a local account. This doesn't happen if the admin account is in the "proper" place and not hidden. Ideas or suggestions on how to "fix" this? I am thinking I may "unhide" the account but the script (I reversed it) is not working and corrupts the account. Any ideas on how to reverse the process?

6 REPLIES 6

rvelasco212
New Contributor II

Can you instead create a new separate admin account for them to use just (for now) to perform the upgrade to Mavericks?

Still investigating the use of VPP but are we just talking about the user having an admin username/pw to authorize the upgrade at install time? Not sure if VPP is somehow linked to a user account on the Mac versus just an Apple ID (thought it was just the Apple ID)

denmoff
Contributor III

I've been using this command to hide the user. Could use it to unhide as well.

dscl . -change /Users/adminaccount UniqueID 501 499

501 is the current uid of the admin account.
499 is the uid it is changed to to hide the account.

mostlikelee
Contributor

Another option:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUserList -array-add $username

rvelasco212
New Contributor II

By 'hidden' do you mean the home folder has been relocated elsewhere other than the Users folder? (I understand how it can be hidden from the login screen list of users as a separate matter)

macboy
Contributor

Yes I not only mark it as hidden but also move the directory to a different area. right now I have it creating a local admin account through a policy and then once they upgrade and log in and then reboot again it removes the account. kind of a pain but not sure how else to do it.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Mavericks and Yosemite require there to be a user account above 501, otherwise it will act as though there are no users present.

I would either create an account beforehand and then remove it afterwards or edit the admin account you have on there with dscl.

Are these lab machines? Could just do autorun imaging.