k12techman
New Contributor

I don't know if it's something I'm doing or just a lack of understanding on
my part. But, I've attempted to use the MCX functionality in the JSS and
have had mixed results. I understand the basics of how to create policy,
scope policy, etc in the JSS. But, it never seems to get pushed to my
clients. If I go to using OD and follow the tried and true methods there,
I have no problems with MCX.

But, I'd like to do it all in JSS for that one-stop-shop advantage.

Does anyone out there have any advice for a person trying to accomplish
this? Is there something else I need to be doing to 10.6 machines so that
the MCX from the JSS works?

TIA,

Drew

-- Drew Lane
Director of Technology
Derby Public Schools
iMessage and Facetime: dlane at usd260.com
Office: 316.788.8591
Find Me: 316.285.0017

2 REPLIES 2

talkingmoose

I don't know if it's something I'm doing or just a lack of understanding on my part. But, I've attempted to use the MCX functionality in the JSS and have had mixed results. I understand the basics of how to create policy, scope policy, etc in the JSS. But, it never seems to get pushed to my clients. If I go to using OD and follow the tried and true methods there, I have no problems with MCX.
On 12/5/11 10:23 AM, "Drew Lane" <dlane at usd260.com<mailto:dlane at usd260.com>> wrote:

But, I'd like to do it all in JSS for that one-stop-shop advantage.

Does anyone out there have any advice for a person trying to accomplish this? Is there something else I need to be doing to 10.6 machines so that the MCX from the JSS works?

I'm using Casper's Managed Preferences to manage our MCX settings and it's working just fine. I have most groups receiving about 40+ preferences and a couple going up to 90. I manage as much as I can from network proxy settings to printers to security settings to individual applications. This is my primary method of managing Macs. I'll script things only if I can't use MCX.

I went this route over using a Mac OS X server because I wanted the reduced infrastructure. We're bound to AD already but I can't get our Windows admins to extend the schema. We already have Casper in place. I didn't want to have to mess with binding Macs to a second server and having to maintain it as well as a golden triangle.

If you take time to understand how to find preferences that you need to manage and understand what's required (specific locations for .plist files, system vs. user preferences, etc.) then it's a good solution.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

rmanly
Contributor III

Ditto most of this except I dismantled OD because I was getting unreliable
MCX from that.

Now if something isn't behaving the way I think it should I just do "jamf
recon; jamf mcx" and boom it is working.

Ryan M. Manly
Glenbrook High Schools