MCX / Policy to disable the popupwindow when logging out OS X 10.8

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to get our Mac Computer labs up and running in OS X 10.8 I'm very new to Casper and was "shown" where things reside but not given any real nitty gritty training. I'll making use of this discussion board a fair amount and I've already learnt alot from previous users here.

I wanted to ask do you have that tickbox "Reopen windows when logging back in" unticked as well as preventing that popup window from popping up in OS X 10.8? Ideally I'd like to be able to create a policy or MCX that will have that tickbox unticked and disabled so it doesn't pop up.

I've found some info on how to do it in OS X 10.7 but nothing so far on OS X 10.8

Thank you in advance everyone!

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hi. I don't know of a way that the window that comes up at logout can be disabled. I kind of doubt that's possible without hacking the OS. Its not even a good idea really since that window provides an out in the event the Logout option was chosen accidentally or the shortcut keys were pressed.

As for the checkbox, that setting changed slightly with Mountain Lion. It was a boolean value in Lion, but now its a string value (which I thought was odd) Its still stored in the same com.apple.loginwindow plist at the user level and is located under the TALLogoutSavesState key. it doesn't appear its possible to grey out the checkbox though. You can apply the setting via MCX at every login, but users will still be able to check it back on at every logout.

To untick the checkbox:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow TALLogoutSavesState 0

To tick it back on:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow TALLogoutSavesState 1

Those could be easily converted into MCX settings:

Definition:
User Level: Allowed
User Managed Level: Not Allowed
Computer Level: Not Allowed

Domain: com.apple.loginwindow
Key Name: TALLogoutSavesState
Key Type: string

General:
Apply Setting to: User Level at Every Login
Value: 0

bmak
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response mm270 and explaining what happened from 10.7 to 10.8
We never went to 10.7 and have been on 10.6 (current image) so we're skipping a OS from going 10.6 to 10.8

I'll give your solution a go today once I'm in at work.

Cheers!